MRE Pizza

12thengr

Yup...Terminal Lance did a comic on it a month or so back. Had some guys pull it last week on an op we hosted...the kids were all kinds of excited, until they tasted it...evidently it's garbage

Problem is, they let civilians taste test these things, and they're a novelty to Joe Blow...and obviously the creators let their kids come up with ideas, why else would they dream of making Ratatouie? A meal NO ONE knew was a thing until Disney drummed up a flick about it

Brig, I guess it's closer to a pizza than a cracker with ketchup on top, but not looking too appealing. Hopefully it tastes better than it looks! It actually reminds me of a frozen pizza that wasn't cooked thoroughly; I see cheese that is melted and browned, but also cheese that looks unmelted. Not sure what to make of it. The problem with making a pizza that appeals to everyone (let alone a shelf stable one!) is that everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a 'real' pizza.

If pizza flavored 'Combos' have been on the civilian market for years, maybe that would be a better way to go? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combos

Yup...Terminal Lance did a comic on it a month or so back. Had some guys pull it last week on an op we hosted...the kids were all kinds of excited, until they tasted it...evidently it's garbage

Problem is, they let civilians taste test these things, and they're a novelty to Joe Blow...and obviously the creators let their kids come up with ideas, why else would they dream of making Ratatouie? A meal NO ONE knew was a thing until Disney drummed up a flick about it

You are a bitter person

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought hot sauce cured everything?...so much for may taxes at work. :D I vote for the military to go back to K and C rations.If the Army is going to a retro uniform like the WW2 pinks and greens then they need to go back to the WW2 rations. :);)

I thought hot sauce cured everything?...so much for may taxes at work. :D I vote for the military to go back to K and C rations.If the Army is going to a retro uniform like the WW2 pinks and greens then they need to go back to the WW2 rations. :);)

Tabasco lost their contract years ago...no more hot sauce in MREs

attachicon.gif merlin_143722983_c0289595-0533-4785-9e37-0e16f1d471d4-jumbo.jpthig

Anybody seen this? Ran in the NY Times and other newspapers the last couple days. Good video on u-tube too.

The more I look at the pizza the more it reminds me of the fake vomit you could buy out of the Johnson-Smith Novelty catalogs when I was a kid :unsure::blush:

The more I look at the pizza the more it reminds me of the fake vomit you could buy out of the Johnson-Smith Novelty catalogs when I was a kid :unsure::blush:

You should see the blueberry crumble or whatever that comes with it. THAT looks like barf!

I've always been a big fan of new menus to break up the monotony. Below is an article which offers some ground truth as to it's development and testing.

https://www.army.mil/article/209193/remote_delivery_mre_pizza_coming_soon_to_soldiers

NATICK, Mass. -- From the most remote locations on Earth, Soldiers will soon be able to enjoy their favorite meal. Slices of delicious comfort, in the form of Meal, Ready-to-Eat pepperoni pizza, are currently being cooked up in preparation for worldwide distribution.

Soldiers have been asking for a pizza MRE since the 1980s. In 2012, advancements in food technology allowed scientists from the Combat Feeding Directorate of the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center in Natick, Massachusetts, to begin to transform their vision of providing Soldiers a tasty and nutritious meal, with a three-year shelf-life, into a piping-hot reality.

Jeremy Whitsitt, CFD's deputy director, explains the science behind the process of creating a perfect shelf-stable pizza ration. "The real trick is to get bread, sauce, cheese, and pepperoni inside of a pouch, happily together for at least three years. With each of those individual components on their own, we can achieve the shelf life, but when you put them together -- chemistry happens. All these components are interacting. You have four very distinct food matrices all interacting with each other, which can cause some unwanted results. That's why developing a shelf-stable pizza has been so hard."

According to Whitsitt, the manufacturing aspect of producing a stable MRE pizza was also a challenge. CFD scientists and researchers were able to produce a viable prototype in a laboratory setting, but factoring in the impact of large-scale production and packaging was a significant hurdle to overcome.

"Were able to do a lot of things in the lab, but sometime when you scale up, working with a producer making these by the thousands, especially with a product that's never existed before and is not available in the commercial market, replicating the process and coming up with the same results is difficult. But we overcame challenges and we've got a good product now. And Soldiers will be seeing pizza pretty soon."

To ensure taste and quality, every item that goes into an MRE is extensively taste-tested by Soldiers in the field. The Army began field-testing the MRE pizza in August 2014. Whitsitt believes MRE pizza should be available to Soldiers in 2019, with some locations possible in 2018.

The standard MRE contains a main course, side dish, a dessert or snack, crackers or bread with cheese, peanut butter or jelly, and a powered beverage mix -- all fortified with essential vitamins, nutrients, and around 1,200 calories total. The MRE pizza MRE will contain cherry/blueberry cobbler, cheese spread with cheddar and jalapeno cheese, Italian bread sticks, cookies, and chocolate protein powder mix.

Developing a great tasting MRE-pizza that can be stored safely, at up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit for three years, was only part of the equation for the CFD food technologists.

"When you break it down, food is fuel. The fuel that powers the Soldier. Everything that goes into the body has to be thought through very carefully," Whitsitt said. "We're doing a lot of work into what naturally occurring ingredients are needed to increase, and sustain, high performance for an extended period of time.

"Working with our partners in USARIEM and the medical community, we're ensuring that what they're investigating -- the physiological research -- makes its way into ration components. That rations not only have the shelf life that they need but will be something that Soldiers want to eat. The idea is that these things will increase their performance so they can get back into the fight," he added

Lies... I saw the advertisement requesting civilian volunteers for taste testing a couple years ago...wish I'd thought to keep it

At best, they're probably testing with Reservists/National Guard who spend most of their time out of the field...

Taste Testing should occur at 29 Palms during ITX...6 weeks of sand and rations, you'll get some raw, uncensored reviews around week 4

I am going MRE diving Monday, I want to test this thing and see if it's really protein powder or the same old chocolate beverage base

From what I heard they upped their price demands. Surprised Texas Pete didn't jump all over that

I am surprised they didn't replace it with sriracha, but maybe they already have that?

Or they could have kept with the times and just put in packages of 'BigMac' sauce, or maybe the elusive McDonald's Szechuan sauce? In a way I am surprised they (MRE designers) don't rely on more sauces to adapt something to an individual palate, rather than trying to make one of every dish.

Lies... I saw the advertisement requesting civilian volunteers for taste testing a couple years ago...wish I'd thought to keep it

At best, they're probably testing with Reservists/National Guard who spend most of their time out of the field...

Taste Testing should occur at 29 Palms during ITX...6 weeks of sand and rations, you'll get some raw, uncensored reviews around week 4

I am going MRE diving Monday, I want to test this thing and see if it's really protein powder or the same old chocolate beverage base

You cracked the case! Obviously a conspiracy!

Soylent green maybe? ;)

But on a serious note, I do wonder how much demand there was for a pizza? I recall reading in the newspaper (so you know it's been a while) circa the year 2002, that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches supposedly topped the most requested meal for a ration. With so many allergens around now, I wonder if that still holds true or if the new rations are carefully selected to avoid any potential allergens in the meal?