USMC marked "bullseye" shooting/range box?

M1Garandy

Anyone know anything about USMC marked "bullseye" type range boxes?

The box in question is the typical civilian style that holds four pistols on a sliding tray, ammunition and a spotting scope but is much more robust than the civilian units I have seen. It is marked as having been made by Texas Trunk Co in San Antonio TX. It appears to have a part number of RTE-75198.

I know I've seen pictures of another somewhere (maybe even here) but I have been unable to track it down thus far.

Thanks.

Here you go. This one was used by a prominent Marine Corps pistol shooter in the 1950s.

Range Box.jpg

These sturdy boxes were made by a variety of companies. Every shooter had his own box to carry his pistols and all of the necessary accoutrements. With the near death of bullseye shooting, these boxes are mostly obsolescent today.

What does your example look like?

Regards,

Charlie

One more for good measure. The LTD stud for the strap is ripped out, have to find one and figure out how to fix it. The strap appears to have shrunk and might be a touch short. There is a rotating spotting scope mount inside the lid which I forgot to take a picture of.

post-83117-0-33104600-1537580967.jpg

That's a neat box, Garandy. Now you need to get it filled up with some National Match .45 pistols and head for the range.

Charlie

With a spotting scope, ammunition, and two braces of pistols this box would be a bit on the heavy side I'd imagine.

I'd also wonder how secure the pistols would be in this type of holder as unlike other boxes I've seen of this type, you can't clamp the barrels or slides to keep them in place for transport. I'd think a bumpy road would play havoc with organization.

Anyone have any thoughts what vintage this box might be? I'm thinking 1960's or earlier based on the hardware, but that is strictly a guess.