Good book on wings

QED4

I am trying to find a source of information about wings not identify them. Things like when authorized and rescinded, what were the qualifications and limitations and mainly it must be what the regulations say not what some anonymous internet expert thinks. I have been trying to find out about Technical Observer wings and according to the internet (1st site) they were worn by EM who were flight engineers and their assistants, (site 2) officers who specialized in tactics and flight operations, (site 3) civilian tech reps. Now as shocking as it may be, the internet has to be wrong on at least two of these. I have lots of other questions like what were the limitations on Service Pilot and Lesion Pilots that they weren't just pilots. Dose any one know a good source that quotes the regs and is all in one place?

Thirty Years of US Army Pilot Wings 1917 to 1947 by Charles I Fitzsimmons PhD, ATP. This gentleman gives actual copies of the regulations from the war department headquarters of the Army Air Forces from July 26, 1943. An excellent overview of the regulations regarding each pilot rating.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it at least now I know what to look for. I checked Amazon and they want $120.00 for a used paperback copy I don't think I need to know that bad but if you wait long enough you will always find what you want at the price you want to pay. Again thanks.

Someone else had recently asked about this book, and I think there was one available then for like $75 from an online seller. That is still very expensive. You might also look up that other thread as there was some good discussion about the book in general. Basically the reference documents are nice, but the "information" the author provides about actual wings is somewhat questionable.

Someone else had recently asked about this book, and I think there was one available then for like $75 from an online seller. That is still very expensive. You might also look up that other thread as there was some good discussion about the book in general. Basically the reference documents are nice, but the "information" the author provides about actual wings is somewhat questionable.

You're right........but all books seem to have their flaws. Illustrations are good, info sometimes suspect.

Collecting is nothing more than learning to "run between the rain drops". Takes forever.......!!!!

I am trying to find a source of information about wings not identify them. Things like when authorized and rescinded, what were the qualifications and limitations and mainly it must be what the regulations say not what some anonymous internet expert thinks. I have been trying to find out about Technical Observer wings and according to the internet (1st site) they were worn by EM who were flight engineers and their assistants, (site 2) officers who specialized in tactics and flight operations, (site 3) civilian tech reps. Now as shocking as it may be, the internet has to be wrong on at least two of these. I have lots of other questions like what were the limitations on Service Pilot and Lesion Pilots that they weren't just pilots. Dose any one know a good source that quotes the regs and is all in one place?

TOs had to have many hours of flight......not for EMs or FEs. It should be realized that "Hap" Arnold was a qualified TO. I think the badge was about as popular as a thumb in your eye.....hince they are rare today (real ones, that is).

I know the requirements for the observer wings were very high, even more than the command pilot. In spite of the official Army line on observers there really was no actual job of observer. The wings were created so that old long serving pilots who could no longer retain fight status would not be striped of their wings due to age or medical condition. They could ride along on a flight once in a while to maintain their flight status but the Army never came right out and said that for obvious reasons (and before someone says something I know that in WWI observer really did observe and it was a job but that was a different time and a different wing). When you add technical to observer it sounds like it might be a real thing though, requiring more than just time in service and flight hours. That is why I want to know what were the differences between observer and technical observer qualifications.

I am not sure why you would say that there were not actual jobs for observers in the Army Air Corps.

Here are some places to start if you want to hunt down the original documents:

https://books.google.com/books?id=I5ojAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA400&lpg=PA400&dq=War+Department+Circular+21,++1940&source=bl&ots=Kej8h9nvrT&sig=KLz15XNcxLQlq04c_s1BgAye88o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2iLWPrM3dAhUHAXwKHZISBJ4Q6AEwBXoECAQQAQ#v=snippet&q=technical&f=false

I'm having a heck of a time linking to this information.

But here is some information that my help (this was from Emmerson.net but the link doesn't want to go through, so I cut and pasted the section about the aircraft observer.

The previous badge for observers has the letters US in the center of the O. October 14, 1921, saw the omission of the letters, which resulted in the design used through World War II. The 31 December 1926 edition of AR 600-35 called for this badge to be embroidered on dark blue cloth, for wear on the wool service coat. On all other uniforms observers were to wear silver metal wings. The requirement for cloth badges on wool service coats disappeared in the August 1941 edition of AR 600-40. By November 1941, AR 600-35 clearly stated the badges would be metal only although many aviators continued to wear the older cloth version. Initially the title of the badge was Airplane Observer. War Department Circular 21, 1940, changed the title to Combat Observer. Circular 265, 19 December 1941, again changed the title to Aircraft Observer. Only officers could be observers and wear this badge, the War Department declaring enlisted men not being able to hold this rating. The badge lasted until the creation of the US Air Force although the Army Air Force ended formal observer training in 1943.

www.emersoninsignia.net/