Photo

My 2nd Great Grandpa and Great Grandpa's uniforms. (26th ID & 33rd ID)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 USdog

USdog
  • Members
    • Member ID: 93,633
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Tell him to get better hangers for those uniforms. From what I heard those kind can cause damage to a uniform.

#27 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

Great stuff, was your Great Great Grandfather originally from Massachusetts? EM's in National Guard Divisions tended to be from the local vicinity of these when they were first formed, not nesseraly being national guardsmen themselves, or more correctly, Pre War National Guardsmen, here they just joined these because the war started.

#28 sundance

sundance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,879
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

I'm sure some of us would have liked it if they had ended up in an antique store...but this is a much better resolution. I hope they end up in your hands as your love of their history and your appreciation for the actions of your relatives clearly shines through.

#29 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,535
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:32 AM

Great stuff, was your Great Great Grandfather originally from Massachusetts? EM's in National Guard Divisions tended to be from the local vicinity of these when they were first formed, not nesseraly being national guardsmen themselves, or more correctly, Pre War National Guardsmen, here they just joined these because the war started.

He was born and drafted in Michigan.

#30 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

I'm sure some of us would have liked it if they had ended up in an antique store...but this is a much better resolution. I hope they end up in your hands as your love of their history and your appreciation for the actions of your relatives clearly shines through.

Thank you, if I get them I'll post an update with some more pictures of the uniforms and photo album.

#31 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

I got a relative who was in the 26th ID during WW1 as well. They were some of the first soldiers in France! Really great to see you hopefully get some items of family history! At least to know they exist is great! When my Great-Grandfather died my Grandfather through all of my Great-Grandfathers stuff right into the dumpster which not only included my Great-Grandfathers military stuff but probably my Great-Great-Grandfather and my grandfather's too! Well too bad, but maybe they'll turn up one day on the forum. My Great-Grandfathers photo album from the war was found but im still working on getting those pictures! 

Hunt

#32 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

I got a relative who was in the 26th ID during WW1 as well. They were some of the first soldiers in France! Really great to see you hopefully get some items of family history! At least to know they exist is great! When my Great-Grandfather died my Grandfather through all of my Great-Grandfathers stuff right into the dumpster which not only included my Great-Grandfathers military stuff but probably my Great-Great-Grandfather and my grandfather's too! Well too bad, but maybe they'll turn up one day on the forum. My Great-Grandfathers photo album from the war was found but im still working on getting those pictures! 

Hunt

That's sucks they were thrown away.  I hope you find them!

#33 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,832
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

Congrats on the discovery Jacob! So your family is from the Gwinn area? I guess that explains how you ended up at NMU. Hope you get them someday, and don't give up. Just a couple of years ago I received some items from my Great Uncle, a WWII vet. I have been actively collecting since I was 9 and I am 51 now. They were in the family all that time, they knew I was collecting, but it just never came up in conversation until I opened the museum and my Cousins saw it in the paper...    Scott

You should go volunteer at the museum at K.I. Sawyer, I was there earlier in the year and they really could use help, it made me sad....

#34 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

Congrats on the discovery Jacob! So your family is from the Gwinn area? I guess that explains how you ended up at NMU. Hope you get them someday, and don't give up. Just a couple of years ago I received some items from my Great Uncle, a WWII vet. I have been actively collecting since I was 9 and I am 51 now. They were in the family all that time, they knew I was collecting, but it just never came up in conversation until I opened the museum and my Cousins saw it in the paper...    Scott

You should go volunteer at the museum at K.I. Sawyer, I was there earlier in the year and they really could use help, it made me sad....

My relatives have been in Gwinn and Ishpeming since the early 1900s so we have a long family history in the UP.  I'm planning on going to KI either this weekend or the next.  I'll be sure to talk to them about volunteering!

Jacob

#35 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

He was born and drafted in Michigan.

Was he always in the 26th Div? Might he of been in the 85th Div first and was sent to as a replacement to the 26th Div in France? the 85th Div was where most draftee's from Michigan went into, the 85th Div was sent to France and would up as a Depot Division providing replacements to the combat depleted division at the front, and the 26th Div was certainly one of those divisions.

#36 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:06 PM

Was he always in the 26th Div? Might he of been in the 85th Div first and was sent to as a replacement to the 26th Div in France? the 85th Div was where most draftee's from Michigan went into, the 85th Div was sent to France and would up as a Depot Division providing replacements to the combat depleted division at the front, and the 26th Div was certainly one of those divisions.

The only knowledge I only have is his service in the 26th.  It is entirely possible.  On Ancestry there is no evidence of another division on his records.  I'll have to look into it some more to see if it is possible!

Jacob

#37 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

The only knowledge I only have is his service in the 26th.  It is entirely possible.  On Ancestry there is no evidence of another division on his records.  I'll have to look into it some more to see if it is possible!

Jacob

Roger

#38 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

I made another cool family history disovery a few days ago.  I finally found out my great grandftaher's name on my Dad's side of the family.  He didnt serve in the American military but fought for the British in WWI.  My Grandma gave me her cousin's contact info and it turns out he has his medals! 

Private William Thomas Clark

-C CO. 7th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment

-Wounded in April, 1917, recovered in England and returned to the front.

-Killed in action near Gentelles on the Somme April 5,1918

-Buried at Cayeux Military Cemetary in France

Attached Images

• rsz_img_20181004_134152.jpg

#39 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

Attached Images

• rsz_img_20181004_133904_1.jpg