Help ID this display unit-HUD

Geo3310

I have this listed on the What's It worth forum...but figured I should actually find out what it is... :) . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to compare it to some photos online, but so far no luck. Thank you.

post-163143-0-28425800-1537161754_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I worked on A-6Es for 16 years and that is not a standard optical sight. With a serial number #2, I believe you have a prototype optical bomb sight that was never fully developed and implemented into the fleet A-6Es. You will notice it also has no NSN on the data plate. This was probably tested at NAS Patuxent River and never fully accepted by the Navy.

Neat piece, I still have no idea on value, but there can't be many of those around.

Chris

Here is a picture I found of a non standard bomb sight installed in an A-6E, never saw one in person though.

post-10825-0-93460100-1537177135.jpeg

hink, you may have nailed it, I linked a couple web addresses on the same original posters what it is worth thread. There is very little out there on it, but the manufacturer does have a web hit on it, it appears from a company newsletter, but when I search their website further I get just that one response. Based on that, and on what you have noted, I think what you stated is very, very plausible!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I worked on A-6Es for 16 years and that is not a standard optical sight. With a serial number #2, I believe you have a prototype optical bomb sight that was never fully developed and implemented into the fleet A-6Es. You will notice it also has no NSN on the data plate. This was probably tested at NAS Patuxent River and never fully accepted by the Navy.

Neat piece, I still have no idea on value, but there can't be many of those around.

Chris

Here is a picture I found of a non standard bomb sight installed in an A-6E, never saw one in person though.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

OT

Hi hink441. You mentioned working on A-6Es which is interesting as it's a jet I have always liked. I was wondering, are you familiar with the early (perhaps pre-production?) installation of the ALR-67? I ask because the warning lights on the right side of the gunsight was a little different and provided indications of AGM-88 HARM compatibility, which dovetails with the WCSI upgrade.

OT

Hi hink441. You mentioned working on A-6Es which is interesting as it's a jet I have always liked. I was wondering, are you familiar with the early (perhaps pre-production?) installation of the ALR-67? I ask because the warning lights on the right side of the gunsight was a little different and provided indications of AGM-88 HARM compatibility, which dovetails with the WCSI upgrade.

I worked on the A-6Es during the switch-over from the ALR-45/50 to the ALR-67 system. I was not involved pre-production of the ALR-67 system. I know the two systems had different ladder light warnings but I do not know, or remember if they were related to the AGM-88 HARM weapon system. Sorry I could not provide more info.

Chris

I worked on the A-6Es during the switch-over from the ALR-45/50 to the ALR-67 system. I was not involved pre-production of the ALR-67 system. I know the two systems had different ladder light warnings but I do not know, or remember if they were related to the AGM-88 HARM weapon system. Sorry I could not provide more info.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

With the exception of the fire warning and temperature lights, both the ALR-45/50 and late version of the ALR-67 (it may well have been the only actual ALR-67 version realised) had an almost identical setup, with a large 'MISSILE' warning light, followed by 4 smaller 'ladder lights' (the meaning of the ladder lights between the 2 models differed) below it. The earlier ALR-67 (at least the line drawings of it I've seen) differed, in that its warning cluster was comprised of 6 smaller warning lights in its ladder below the larger 'MISSILE' warning light rather than 4. So I was just wondering if you'd ever seen the 'six stack' before.