Thompson buttstock screw

MartyMcPouch

Hello,

I have a question regarding the buttstocks on Thompsons. Especially on the M1928 A1 model. Usually they do not have a screw at the position where it connects to the steel framing of the gun. But there are some which have this buttstock screw like the M1A1 Model.

Is this somehow rare? Or where these buttstocks just already fitted with a screw in the production and later someone decided to make spare buttstocks for the older M1928 A1 model?

Why is there a screw, at all. What is this screw for?

Thank you!

PS. On the other side I have also seen buttstocks without a screw on the M1A1 model. Technically these buttstocks are different on both models. M1A1s are connected with screws and M1928s are a cooler design, it can be removed by pressing a button and sliding it off.

Here you see this buttstock with a screw but usually it has no screw.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/62/3397/auto-ordnance-corp--thompson-1928-a1

I would think the transverse screw at the forward end of the Thompson butt stock is to re-enforce the stock to prevent splitting. I have seen photos of both M1A1 and M1928 types with the screw.

post-55163-0-12515500-1537184483_thumb.jpg

tommatt3 hit the nail - the screw is only a reinforcement to prevent splitting the stock.I can't tell for sure but what I know is that original 1928's and early M1's had no screw in this section of the stock.This part came later in war when problems in splitted stocks occurred.After this time these screws were used throughout all the M1928's and also the later M1's, especially on replacement stocks.Hope this helps.