Is There A Way To Restore Worn Off Gold Plating On Officer’s Dress EGAs?

AirMechanic

I have several WWII USMC officers dress EGAs where the gold wash/plating on the raised continents or the anchors has been worn off (likely from being polished). Is there a way that the gold wash can restored, perhaps by a jeweler? Has anyone done this? If so, how much did it cost and how did it come out?

It would destroy the value of the piece, as most attempts at 'restoration' on insignia often do. Collectors value the patina, I personally wouldn't touch replated emblems. Maybe for a uniform restore, but I wouldn't pay what I would for all original emblems, even in a worn state

If you do want to do it, I would shop for a quality jeweler. Most "jewelers" these days do little more than resize and replace stones...the craftsmanship is rapidly becoming a lost art, much like silversmithing.

It CAN be done, absolutely, but finding a plater or jeweler willing and able to do it, is another matter, There are 3-4 ways to accomplish the job.

Large urban areas are more likely to have such craftsmen than rural places., and it will take some searching. Whenever I have needed such services (e.g. fine engraving, delicate repairs etc.) over the decades, I always look for old timey Europeans and long-established jewelry stores.

Would it be possible to see a photo of the piece(s) as they are now?

I think any restoration, even by an accomplished jeweler, would involve some medal loss due to surface preparation. That would certainly change the look of any emblem. I would advise leaving it alone and finding another emblem in better condition. The final desicion rests with you. Good luck and please keep us posted. I too would like to see a picture or two of what you have.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Here is a photo of one of the emblems that I have where you can see that the gold plating is missing from the continents and the anchor. It looks like someone polished it off. Anyhow, I think I will just leave it as is. Thanks for the advice though!

post-7244-0-69878100-1537504356_thumb.jpg