Photo

Is There A Way To Restore Worn Off Gold Plating On Officer’s Dress EGAs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AirMechanic

AirMechanic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,244
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

I have several WWII USMC officers dress EGAs where the gold wash/plating on the raised continents or the anchors has been worn off (likely from being polished). Is there a way that the gold wash can restored, perhaps by a jeweler? Has anyone done this? If so, how much did it cost and how did it come out?

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,812 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:17 AM

It would destroy the value of the piece, as most attempts at 'restoration' on insignia often do. Collectors value the patina, I personally wouldn't touch replated emblems. Maybe for a uniform restore, but I wouldn't pay what I would for all original emblems, even in a worn state

If you do want to do it, I would shop for a quality jeweler. Most "jewelers" these days do little more than resize and replace stones...the craftsmanship is rapidly becoming a lost art, much like silversmithing.

#3 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:26 AM

It CAN be done, absolutely, but finding a plater or jeweler willing and able to do it, is another matter, There are 3-4 ways to accomplish the job.

Large urban areas are more likely to have such craftsmen than rural places., and it will take some searching. Whenever I have needed such services (e.g. fine engraving, delicate repairs etc.) over the decades, I always look for old timey Europeans and long-established jewelry stores.

Would it be possible to see a photo of the piece(s) as they are now? 

#4 Bruce Linz

Bruce Linz

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,708
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

I think any restoration, even by an accomplished jeweler, would involve some medal loss due to surface preparation. That would certainly change the look of any emblem. I would advise leaving it alone and finding another emblem in better condition. The final desicion rests with you. Good luck and please keep us posted. I too would like to see a picture or two of what you have.

Semper Fi,
Bruce Linz

#5 AirMechanic

AirMechanic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,244
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

Here is a photo of one of the emblems that I have where you can see that the gold plating is missing from the continents and the anchor. It looks like someone polished it off. Anyhow, I think I will just leave it as is. Thanks for the advice though!

Attached Images

• IMG_3673.JPG

#6 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:43 PM

Yes... I'd leave it too.

It doesn't look bad at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users