Jean Vauzanges, French CFPNA trained pilot in the USA

rathbonemuseum.com

rathbonemuseum.com

Here is a piece of history one does not often see which is a grouping to an escaped Frenchman who came to the US and trained in the CFPNA (Les Centres de Formation du Personnel Navigant en Amerique). It was chartered on February 1st, 1943 with the intention that 500 men would attend and graduate US Air Force training. Ultimately, over 4,000 Frenchmen would go through the training by the program's end in 1946.

There was a pre-ready center that gathered potential airmen at Camp Cazes, Casablanca. The recruits would travel to the US and attend pre-flight in Selma, AL. From there they went to any number of fields for elementary, primary and advanced and specialization training all over the US. (all of this information is gratefully acknowledged from an incredible website put together and still managed by Patrice Laverdet at http://patrice.laverdet.pagesperso-orange.fr/html/cfpna_index.htm)

I am still researching Jean Vauzanges but from what little I can gather so far, he escaped from occupied France and made it to North Africa either in late 1943 or early 1944. He enrolled in the program and completed basic training at Hawthorne Field in Orangeburg, SC (his id bracelet says Hawthorne Field on the back). He ultimately made it to Turner Field in Georgia to train as a twin engine pilot flying B-25s. Jean Vauzanges graduated June 26th, 1945 from the 14th detachment CFPNA, 15ht detachment of twin engine pilots, CFPNA No. 4536, French pilot brevet (CFPNA) No. 907 and Free French air forces brevet No. 31,606. His grad picture is below but unfortunately I do not know which man is him!

The grouping (which had more material, I bid on what I could...there were many lots) includes a lot of interesting items like his US T44 dog tag, a jacket patch and pin for the CFPNA program ("Ils Grandiront" = "They will grow up"), his id bracelet from Hawthorne field, his later French id badge from Mediouna, Morocco (near Casablanca). According to the seller, Vauzanges left the us post-WWII and entered service in the French Foreign Legion. I don't have any information to support and did not bid on his later material. I hope you enjoy this rare piece of Air Corps history.

VauzangesGradClasspostSmall.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

This is the sum of all the lots I was able to win. Mtnman was able to win one of the lots as well (congrats!). I focused on his WWII aviation experience. The miniature medals are all WWII related and are for resistance, escape and combatant qualifications. The full size medals refer to Korean service. The nationality patches are all US made and would have been worn on standard US officer tunics. The patches in the lower right I am unfamiliar with.

JeanVAll.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

His French pilot brevet. It is unnumbered. Also interesting is he has a cross of Lorraine charm (Free French forces) and a Vichy french forces pin. The 1946 id bracelet is for service in Morocco. Not sure what force organization. The name id bracelet says Hawthorne Field on the reverse. The St. Christopher bracelet says "PECONIC" and the date of Friday, 19th Oct 1945 on the reverse. The only Peconic I could find on the web is a small town on Long Island in NY (nothing in French). I am also unclear what designation or period the parachutist badge is.

JeanVFrenchbadge.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

A souvenir ring from Algiers dated 1944. Probably obtained as a souvenir on Vauzanges way from mainland France through N. Africa to Casablanca.

JeanVring.jpg

Absolutely Outstanding Grouping Tod and excellent research job! Thanks so much for taking the time to add depth to the picture in history of this intrepid Frenchman pilot!

• 3 years later...

Very nice group.  The paratrooper wing is for the 1er Regiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes or French 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment.  They go back to May of 1943 but this one looks post war like their current one pictured below.

Book-Le-1er-Regiment-de-Chasseurs-Parachutistes-1st.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg