WW2 US Ration recipies

Cary91

Ok so I'm trying to do a little research and I'm coming up pretty short handed, does anyone know where to find ww2 ration recipies? Biscuit recipies, meat unit recipies?

you tube may your friend.

At one time there were some videos of rations or home front reciepes for rationing.

Some of the reenactor boards have areas where they had rations made for use etc.

I have that stuff or at least the list of ingredients, but the problem is you have no idea the ratio's. Even if there were it would be for very large batches, industrial scale stuff. If your trying to recreate WWII rations by the original ingredients, I'm not sure how possible that would be. If you are familiar with baking at all, just the slightest alteration could spell disaster in the final product. Plus, you don't know temperatures, duration of cook time, some ingredients need to be pre-mixed and cooked etc.

General Apathy

Ok so I'm trying to do a little research and I'm coming up pretty short handed, does anyone know where to find ww2 ration recipies? Biscuit recipies, meat unit recipies?

Hi Cary, not a list of ingredients as such but here is a part page of a 1945 historical study completed by the Quartermaster Corps regarding total food substances used during WWII. I thought it interesting that they are talking in terms of millions of pounds weight ?????? . . . . . phenomenal amounts

Hopefully it may be of interest to yourself or other members.

Lewis.

.post-344-0-58960600-1537205467_thumb.jpg

I'm more looking for what went into the actually rations, now that I think about it I believe I have a components list for the k ration's, and o have since found the components and "parts" for the k1, k2, and C- square biscuits. I ended up making a batch of the c-square biscuits came out really well, except they were too thick.