Army uniform laundry markings

oakleaf777

I have an army uniform from the 1920s or 30s which is marked in ink pen on the cap, jacket, and breeches: 33G702X

The insignia on the uniform is from Company G, 33rd Infantry Regt, which I assume accounts for 33G. Any ideas about what 702X signifies? Thanks for any responses.

Cool. What is a roster number? Is that like a predecessor of the service number?

Yes, the coat has insignia on it. It has the old style Type II collar discs, with "G" under the crossed infantry rifles, and 33rd Infantry DUIs on the lapels. According to the seller, it belonged to a soldier named Edwin Sawyer. I'll try to get some pics up later

Cool. What is a roster number? Is that like a predecessor of the service number?

Yes, the coat has insignia on it. It has the old style Type II collar discs, with "G" under the crossed infantry rifles, and 33rd Infantry DUIs on the lapels. According to the seller, it belonged to a soldier named Edwin Sawyer. I'll try to get some pics up later

Roster numbers, these are numbers an individual is identified for quick reference within a unit, in my day only in Basic and AIT did we have a roster number, and had to know it or else, in an example, you did some foul up, a or a drill sergeant might below out in his customary sonorous voice "YOU What Is You're Roster Number" you know in order in burn you :lol:

However, not 100% sure, but roster number may have been used as standard way back when, to include the WWII period.