Opinion on WWII Captain Marked M1 Schlueter

MasonK

Hi All,

Acquired this today through Craigslist, and wanted to get some opinions. Shell is a fixed loop, Schlueter. Heat stamp is 75A.

Front has painted on Captain's bars, which appear to be period original.

Interior of the shell has a laundry # written twice. Appears to be an EM, as I've never seen officers use only the last 4 of their ASN.

Found 12 matches, and am in the process of comparing them to enlistees who may have received a commission, achieving the rank of Captain.

Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

post-29885-0-03455300-1536946000_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-57255200-1536946005_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-92859300-1536946010_thumb.jpg

During ww2 the womens Corp places a V in front of the service number. The service number is a low one. Its a helmet that I would have in my collection.

Marty

During ww2 the womens Corp places a V in front of the service number. The service number is a low one. Its a helmet that I would have in my collection.

Marty

Thanks, Marty. I thought the WAC used a 6 digit Service number. Would love this to be a WAC helmet, but my gut is telling me its a laundry #.

Is there a database for WAC Service #s?

Nice looking Captains helmet. Its quite hard to find early Schlueter helmets with the raised bar buckle chinstrap.

Rich

Thanks, Rich. I appreciate the kind words!

Mine is a 65A heat stamp, same buckle configuration too.....nice helmet you have there. :)

Thanks! Not too far off in production. I believe 1943 for both based on the chart Circa41 was developing.

..just to dispel a misconception here. Officers frequently used the same ASN abbreviation format as enlisted men to mark uniforms, equipment etc. I think V-1084 is his laundry number. Officers can be very hard to track down because they don't appear in the NARA ASN database, and most of the WWII era Army officers were technically in the reserves and don't appear in the Army registers either. V is an uncommon letter. I would start with the area in which the helmet was found...

Thanks, Kadet. I agree, however have seen officers using their entire ASN. It was more wishful thinking on my part that this was an EM, who later received a commission. I knew it would be easier to track down compared to an officer.

Helmet was found outside of Philly, so likelihood of finding the original owner is pretty slim considering how populated of an area Philly is/was.

Seller said it may have been her uncles, however his last name didnt begin with V, and research shows he reached the rank of Sgt. So no luck there...

Overall, Im happy with the helmet. Going to marry it up with a WWII era liner.

Thanks to everyone who commented/added input.