Show your best finds at ASMIC 2018

mortaydc60

That is not a fair question to ask on the above patches are they are not what a "Typical Collector" would buy. The vast majority of Mort's patches are for the person who is not a "typical collector", they are for the collector that has all the regular patches and wants to branch out into the much harder to find / specialized insignia styles.

There was lots of regular / common patches at the show that could have been bought very reasonably but the ones shown above do not fall anywhere near that category.

It all depends on what you're after. Yeah, there are lots of highly sought after, or rare, patches that command plenty of money. But there are tons of $1 bins and fairly inexpensive patches from all eras, too.

That's the great thing about ASMIC and other shows; you can be a guy just starting your collection and after common WWII infantry division patches or you can be after the WWII PIRs that will cost big bucks. Or you can be somewhere in between.

Either way it's a win win. There is something for all levels of collector.

My next pursuit is going to be expensive and ambitious but I know that going in and also know ASMIC shows will be where I end up obtaining most of them.

Kurt,

To answer your question the patches shown are very reasonably priced for what they are that is rarity especially when compared to many on eBay with buy it now prices that are just way high. As Bob said there were plenty of the more common patches available at very reasonable prices. By the way the people who traveled to the show and traveled hours and paid for hotels do not buy dollar patches. There were people from Florida,California,Kansas,North Carollinaand even Germany who were not looking for typical patches.

That is not a fair question to ask on the above patches are they are not what a "Typical Collector" would buy. The vast majority of Mort's patches are for the person who is not a "typical collector", they are for the collector that has all the regular patches and wants to branch out into the much harder to find / specialized insignia styles.

There was lots of regular / common patches at the show that could have been bought very reasonably but the ones shown above do not fall anywhere near that category.

Agreed - lots of nice patches there at reasonable prices. My comments concerned those pictured.

I sense "typical" equates to "modest bank account." I can only speak for myself, but this probably applies to many other "typical" collectors. I have all the regular patches (and then some) and would like to acquire the harder to find examples (most of what is pictured in this thread). If I went to next year's convention expecting to be able to buy all kinds of rare patches I need based on the photos in this thread, I think I would be very disappointed. I doubt few if any of the really rare ones I need would be "purchase-able" (probably on a level with some of the crazy Ebay BIN patches) Why didn't they sell out?

Many shows I go to have the dealers with "mobile collections." (meaning, yes, technically for sale, but.....perhaps not really) If a table several hours into a show has all kinds of great stuff, there's a reason it's still there unsold. I've learned to bypass those tables and spend my time looking for the patches truly meant to sell.

Many like to rip on Ebay, but if you know what you're doing , it's one of the best places to find great stuff at a good price. And, of course, setup time at shows is great too. No arguing that.

I can only speak for what is at my tables and my items are very purchase- able. This is not a mobile collection and it is for sale. Why it is not sold out is same answer to question why isn't eBay sold out if it so wonderful. Yes eBay is great but you are not able to get whatyou want 100% of the time;you are competing with multiple bidders who know as much or more than you do so it is a crap shoot if you win. From your post I can say that you have not been to my tables and saw my prices especially in comparison to eBay. If anything when people see my stuff they say it is fair priced and priced appriorately.

Hi friends

I would love to see and handle these in the flesh. As well as meet the likes of Mort and many many ASMIC members.

Yes, most would be out of my reach (NZ dollar is s!@#$ to the USD plus I don't have a high income) but the important point I would make is to meet those who have been collecting for years, you cannot get better experience by talking , holding and handling in the flesh original items, who knows maybe one day you guys in the States could be at a antique fair and one of these might pop up along with a lot of repro patches but you would know what to look for.

Lets face it most of us will never see anything like what Mort and other senior (meaning collector and not age) ASMIC members have and its great Mort is showing his collection for sale.

Keep showing them Mort and members just PM Mort.

Good oh!

Phill