Show your best finds at ASMIC 2018

mortaydc60

But very typical of an ASMIC show... which is why some of older hands have been encouraging people to go for years now. Make it a bucket list item and just go at least once! I've yet to talk to anyone who regretted it!

Mort’s and Bob’s tables (and many others) had museum quality patches. Unlike a museum, though, you could touch, feel and buy the patches! I spent about 2 hours alone at Mort’s table.

It was very helpful, as a collector, to see such patches in person and to learn from the experts. In addition, there are many experts at the show who are happy to advise you about buying certain patches. For example, before buying my T-force patch, I asked if Dave Johnson would look at the patch and give me his thoughts. He was more than happy to do so.

Finally, as Mort said, you don’t have to fight over the patches unlike ebay. It was much more civilized being able to see them in person.

What I can not show was hundreds of WW1 patches which were in bags that filled two cases and 3 cases of WW2 squadron patches and 50 plus WW2 Marine squadron patches also in bags to save space. Bottom line is that in 10years on eBay you would never see this amount of quality insignia in one place. This just is what is at my tables. Now add Bob’s, Bill Wise,Ron Burkey,Doug’s, Robert Wilson,etc and now you are talking!

vintageproductions

Agreed. Lots of great patches there. BUT....are the patches pictured "purchase-able" by a typical collector? (i.e., not insanely priced?)

That is not a fair question to ask on the above patches are they are not what a "Typical Collector" would buy. The vast majority of Mort's patches are for the person who is not a "typical collector", they are for the collector that has all the regular patches and wants to branch out into the much harder to find / specialized insignia styles.

There was lots of regular / common patches at the show that could have been bought very reasonably but the ones shown above do not fall anywhere near that category.