AC Wings LeVelle Clutchback

tony75

I have never seen a Levelle-hallmarked wing that was not a pin-back. With the nailhead posts and large discolored area around the pins I still lean towards a replaced pin.

Here is the back of mine, which is typical of most of them that I have seen. There is one on ebay right now that looks to have a replaced pin and catch.

The process for attaching the nailhead posts is different than just soldering them on as was done for the pins and catches. The posts on your wing look to have been attached in the same locations as the pins and catches were typically attached on their aircrew wings. Given the option of where to attach the posts on a virgin wing, it would make more sense to attach them a bit further out away from the sterling and Levelle hallmarks where the wings are completely flat.

There are also other wings typically attributed to Levelle, but that don't have the Levelle hallmark. Those are the wings with the four notched on the right shoulder and three on the left (when looking at the front), and the Sterling mark is on the right side of the wing (when facing the rear). I don't recall ever seeing any of those wings with the nailhead posts.

I think your wing is a good WWII vintage wing, its just my opinion that the pin was replaced. If the ability to attach the nailhead posts without a pool of solder was something only manufacturers had, then I would be completely wrong.

post-96854-0-87902400-1536849780_thumb.jpg

There are a few threads with LeVelle wings.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154432-levelle-co-crew-member-wing/?hl=%2Blevelle+%2Bwings

(this one is also a clutch back)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37839-levelle-co-enlisted-aircrew-wing/?hl=%2Blevelle+%2Bwings&do=findComment&comment=289240

(this one is pinback)

There is another pattern that shows up for the bombardier (and perhaps gunner or pilot wings).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/236738-can-anyone-date-this-pattern-of-wing/?hl=%2Blevelle+%2Bwings&do=findComment&comment=1886528

From what I have seen, it sometimes happens that the original owner either replaced a broken hinge/catch with clutch backs or that they converted a wing to clutch backs. Apparently many soldiers found it easier to apply the wings with clutchback straight on the uniform. It is also possible that some wings were made with clutch backs at the factory, maybe as a special order.

Still, it is a nice wing.

I concede and am convinced. Two aircrew wings with the same nail head posts mounted in the same locations on the wings, looks like a manufacturer's work. If anyone knows whether average jewelers even had the ability to attach the nail head posts without soldering them on, please let me know. I just found out a couple months ago that Beverlycraft made both pin back and clutch back wings, so now I have learned that Levelle did too.