Halloween Warning Order 2018

easterneagle87

I found an interesting piece today. I am not 100% sure what it is but it appears to be a private purchase dress uniform from the Vietnam era(dated 4/65) that has been stripped. The outlines of the unit patches left on the uniform are a little confusing however, my initial reaction is that the right shoulder appears to be a square under a ribbon (82nd airborne?) while the other appears to be a shield under a ribbon (101st airborne?). That it would appear to have both does not make any sense to me however, could this have belonged to an airborne officer or is there some more reasonable explanation for what the patches might be?

post-193671-0-61467300-1538343029.png

post-193671-0-57536000-1538343038.png

post-193671-0-73738800-1538343051.png

I picked up a 1970 date rip-stop tropical jacket yesterday in new condition for $2.....Wasn't in the halloween section, but was marked so on the price tag....

Also saw a 1982 date NATO night camouflage poncho or jacket....Had removable liner....Had like a $7 price....Didn't know anything about them, so left it behind....Bodes

huntssurplus

I went to 4 goodwill stores and 1 thrift store and all I found were some modern OCP pants which I left behind because they were about 7 dollars I think and a bit too far out of my usual 20th century time range I try to focus on for collecting. I found a framed picture for Asian service I believe. $8 so I decided to buy it, it's pretty big though.

Hunt

easterneagle87

I went to 4 goodwill stores and 1 thrift store and all I found were some modern OCP pants which I left behind because they were about 7 dollars I think and a bit too far out of my usual 20th century time range I try to focus on for collecting. I found a framed picture for Asian service I believe. $8 so I decided to buy it, it's pretty big though.

Hunt

How about a picture of your picture?

Yesterday I found a pair of dress blue pants named to the same individual as the previous uniform and went back today to find that his jacket had made it to the rack. I can finally make out the name and it turns out there is a W. F. Snydacker who lives in my city and would have been 24 in 1969 which seems right. I can find no information on him serving online so I guess my research on this piece has come to an end, unless I somehow try to contact him (seems creepy), or wait for his obituary (also creepy). It will be interesting to see if his dress hat, shirt, suspenders, and dress shoes rise to the surface of the strange cesspool that is Goodwill and complete the collection.

post-193671-0-30845100-1538517166.png

post-193671-0-46077000-1538517194.png

FlyingTigers03

Yesterday I found a pair of dress blue pants named to the same individual as the previous uniform and went back today to find that his jacket had made it to the rack. I can finally make out the name and it turns out there is a W. F. Snydacker who lives in my city and would have been 24 in 1969 which seems right. I can find no information on him serving online so I guess my research on this piece has come to an end, unless I somehow try to contact him (seems creepy), or wait for his obituary (also creepy). It will be interesting to see if his dress hat, shirt, suspenders, and dress shoes rise to the surface of the strange cesspool that is Goodwill and complete the collection.

Great Find! Contacting the individual can be great sometimes, but then there's always the awkward possibility that they may ask for it back.

VolunteerArmoury

Great Find! Contacting the individual can be great sometimes, but then there's always the awkward possibility that they may ask for it back.

I agree. I would give it a try but realize the risk. Ya never know how it got there but it may work out in your benefit. I wouldnt be hesitant to ask if hed have any other items hed be willing to sell. You may luck out.

I might give it a try, the worst that could happen is probably that the numbers I get off the internet aren't right or have someone get mad at me for tracking them down over an item they donated. I really wouldn't mind if they wanted it back since he arguably has a greater interest then I do however since the original owner was probably the one to remove the sewn on patches that might not be an issue.

I agree. I would give it a try but realize the risk. Ya never know how it got there but it may work out in your benefit. I wouldnt be hesitant to ask if hed have any other items hed be willing to sell. You may luck out.

I had not considered that but that's a decent point. I had really only considered finding out the history and what rank, unit patches, and pins had been removed but maybe he still has them in a drawer somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Found these tiger stripe shorts on today's thrift store crawl:

1_front-1140x868.jpg
2_back-1140x877.jpg
tag-658x960.jpg
waist_adjustment-1140x611.jpg

Is it real? It seems to share a lot of features with https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-USMC-Marine-Vietnam-JAPANESE-MADE-TIGER-STRIPE-CAMO-FIELD-SHORTS-Vtg/352464549602, including the YKK zip.

Other US items found were an Orc Industries Level 6 and a reversible Adventure Tech DCU/Desert Night goretex.

I purchased a nylon flight jacket that I believe is early Vietnam era.....It has Winter Flight Jacket and DSA-1-4703 on the tag which is supposed to be 1965 dated...In really nice shape with only light snags on the knitted collar...No name tag or patches unfortunately and size 40 Large....Came from goodwill, so I do have ten days return policy....Trying to figure out how desirable/collectible these are?...Ebay had a patched/named one sell for $200 and one similar to mine sold for $20.....Bodes

This is the only WW2 item I have been able to find this year.

1_front-9-720x960.jpg

2_43tag-1140x855.jpg

4_pants-front-397x960.jpg

cuffs-1140x611.jpg

I really can't complain though since it's Goodwill.

Finally found something! A Viet Man era type helmet liner with a strange, probably foreign cover tied into the webbing. Only 5 bucks, but don't need or have room for it so passed on it. I

One more weekend to go and not looking good around here.

Good luck folks!

easterneagle87

So I was at the local flea mart yesterday after a long nights work. I look across and see the local surplus store dealer walking away deeper into the mart and I saw him carrying this uni. SON OF A GUN!! I am too late!! I eventually stalked him down and take a look. Really surprised at what he found, but didn't snap a pic. So today, with quick run to town for a hair cut, I stopped by to take some pic's. Enjoy.

post-9131-0-08100600-1540253632_thumb.jpg