Ebay Removing Medals and Ribbons

oldtimecollector

Yeah that's the guy! I remember him saying he does this to everyone!

Best to ignore him, don't acknowledge his ignorance! Only makes him feel better if he knows he's getting to you! Just report him to eBay for harassment, let them deal with him.

oldtimecollector

This topic comes up frequently, a search of the forum will yield countless threads.

Remember that eBay CS reps are generally reading from scripts and notes and dont actually understand the true legalities behind these items, as eBay deals in almost everything item wise. They only know what their company had prohibited, and as private company, they can choose to do so.

Most medals and ribbons make it through, some get pulled. eBay often relies on the user community to report prohibited items. I bet if you reposted them theyd go to completion.

Most collectors and sellers will continue to use the site and I dont foresee a mass migration anywhere else (there really isnt anywhere else with the global reach).

Reminder for all: Lets keep the politics out of the topic or it will be heavily moderated.

Ebay told me they watch my listings beacuse I am a Top Rated seller and therefore, they pay more attention to Top Rated ssellers with a lot of items on Ebay. She also said, we don't want to lose you as a seller with Ebay because you have been with us since 1999 with outstanding ratings. She said we aren't singling you out, That's our policy. Yet, I have found so many Purple Heart Medals with the case on Ebay and nothing happens to them. This is another very upseting reason for dealing with Ebay that forced me to add my own website. I am just so fed up with them and their policies that are constantly changing. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I have and am so upset with them and their policies I needed to vent.

Hi Guys,

I just listed some PH items on eBay and Mr. Do-gooder just sent me this message:

New message from: jpdls3979 (298iconTealStar_25x25.gif) Good day,

Being a 35yr Army Vet and Purple Heart recipient myself and though other Sellers list PH and other medals. Curious if you're aware of eBay's Policy found under "Government Documents, I.D.'s, and Licenses" category where it specifically addresses what medals are not allowed to be listed? And Yes I ask the same question to Other Sellers that list them and don't discriminate against anyone and that these listings may be Reported.

Respectfully,

J.P.

I'm going to ignore him. I'll let you know what happens.

Is this law pertaining to recipients of the PH selling their medal (for what ever reason ...or just PH medal(s) manufactured from a licensed U.S. manufacture?

He's already reported the listing. I exchanged a couple of messages with him when he targeted my listing, and it sounds like he's got a little group of busybodies whose egos drive them to police other people's activities. This is the last message I sent him, to which he didn't reply:

I think it’s shameful that you want to prevent the recovery of discarded Purple Hearts. Most of the Purple Hearts you see on ebay have been, at some time in their history, discarded by either the veteran himself or family members who no longer have an interest in caring for the medal. The collector community is the only driving force in saving these medals from garbage landfills. Collectors recover these discarded Purple Hearts, research the veterans whose sacrifice resulted in their award, collect and document their history, and display the medals and resulting historical research at military shows and community events, so that the memories of the veterans are not forgotten, but are, rather, honored by a new generation.

I cannot comprehend how you could have served in the military for 35 years only to find yourself advocating the destruction of the memory and honor of others who have served. You really should re-think how you are spending your time.

He messaged me a few months ago on a PH listing I had, same message as above. I simply replied "Take your crusade elsewhere, I don't have time for it." He responded that he would report my item to eBay and let them deal with it. My item sold 6 days later and the sale was completed. He sent a few more messages which I ignored wherein he stated he works at the Purple Heart Hall of Fame in New Windsor, NY and is working on the Piccoli PH Bill. Sounds like he needs a better hobby or activity to pursue in his free time.

He messaged me a few months ago on a PH listing I had, same message as above. I simply replied "Take your crusade elsewhere, I don't have time for it." He responded that he would report my item to eBay and let them deal with it. My item sold 6 days later and the sale was completed. He sent a few more messages which I ignored wherein he stated he works at the Purple Heart Hall of Fame in New Windsor, NY and is working on the Piccoli PH Bill. Sounds like he needs a better hobby or activity to pursue in his free time.

Yeah, these are the guys we need to worry about. They have a skewed sense of honor that will no doubt cause the demise of many Purple Hearts. It is almost like trying to save cats by making them illegal to own.

-Ski

• 2 months later...

He's already reported the listing. I exchanged a couple of messages with him when he targeted my listing, and it sounds like he's got a little group of busybodies whose egos drive them to police other people's activities. This is the last message I sent him, to which he didn't reply:

I think it’s shameful that you want to prevent the recovery of discarded Purple Hearts. Most of the Purple Hearts you see on ebay have been, at some time in their history, discarded by either the veteran himself or family members who no longer have an interest in caring for the medal. The collector community is the only driving force in saving these medals from garbage landfills. Collectors recover these discarded Purple Hearts, research the veterans whose sacrifice resulted in their award, collect and document their history, and display the medals and resulting historical research at military shows and community events, so that the memories of the veterans are not forgotten, but are, rather, honored by a new generation.

I cannot comprehend how you could have served in the military for 35 years only to find yourself advocating the destruction of the memory and honor of others who have served. You really should re-think how you are spending your time.

OUTSTANDING!

Once in a while I sell medals on this site and I can price them at 10% less than I do on ebay.

And in some cases I imagine you do better because there is no laundry list of fees.