WW1 Coast Artillery Diploma

Vincennes

A week ago I bought 12 WW1 documents belonging to the estate of John Frazier Carter. He was born in 1899 in Kansas and died in 1972 in Tulsa, OK.

Here is what I know so far: In WW1 he was inducted into the Army from Kansas in October, 1918 as a Private (5308641). He wrote both his US Representative and his US Senator seeking an appointment to Annapolis. I have both replies and show the one from his US Senator (Charles Curtis) below. Charles Curtis later became Vice President of the US from 1929 to 1933. Either he did not pass the test or never tried because he attended Coast Artillery School from October, 1918 to Jan. 1919 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Officers Reserve Corps (see diploma). He later had to surrender this commission because of the poor health of his Father. When WWII came along he requested to be commissioned as an officer in March, 1942 (I have that letter). There was a John F Carter inducted in May, 1942 as a Private (37201230). But that was from Kansas and I believe John Frazier Carter was living in Tulsa, OK in 1942, so I am not sure that is the same person.

Paul

post-2319-0-56210900-1536611915_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-42295000-1536611944_thumb.jpg

Very Cool! My Dad went to C.A. basic there in 1940 Ft. Monroe, Va. I take it you were or are stationed on board the USS. Vincennes. I grew up in Norfolk. I know Ft. Monroe well. Good luck in your research. The Casemate Musuem there, may have some information on him. Wont hurt too ask.

288th C.A.

Actually I was born and raised in Vincennes, IN, but I am a collector of memorabilia from all 4 USS Vincennes'. I was an Instructor of Meteorological Observations at the Signal School at Ft. Monmouth, NJ. from 1963 to 1966.

I'll check with the Museum.

Thanks, Paul