MY LATEST B-17 DATA PLATE

ram957

I recently acquired a Scrapbook from a WWII Aviation Cadet. Its full of items from his induction in 1943 to late 1944. It has a lot of greeting cards , family photos and items from Amarillo AAF and Stockton AAF. On one page was a plain white, actually yellow now, envelope with the notation A souvenir from the B-17 Mary Ann. In the envelope was this Data Plate from B-17B 38-584...This particular ship was in the movie Air Force as Mary Ann....needles to say Im ecstatic!!!

post-13070-0-35012900-1536426563.jpeg

If this is a data plate from the movie's Mary Ann, this solves a bit of a mystery. If I recall correctly, there had been a discussion on the old ArmyAirForces website about the identity of the Mary Ann. The actual serial number of the plane is not shown in the movie or any of the stills. I don't even think there was even a consensus as to what planes were actually used in the movie, and there was some talk that although the planes may have been B-17B's, some of the -B models had been upgraded with features that made them look like -C models. If the info on Joe Baugher's website is correct, 38-584 was written off in October of 1943 and went to "Class 26" at Hobbs AAF after that. I don't know what "Class 26" was, but I do know there was an aviation mechanics school at Hobbs along with a Specialized 4-Engine Pilot School that had B-17s there. It would make sense to use an old plane for the mechanics to practice maintenance tasks on.

A friend of mine who was a B-17 Flight Engineer told me these data plates were attached to the bulkheads on each section of the fuselage that was built as a sub-assembly. I'm not sure how many sub-assemblies there were for B-17B fuselages but I would guess at least 4 or 5.