Japanese Brothers pair - 2d Div Korea CIC Agent and IX Corps WWII

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

I haven't shared anything in awhile, but I felt these two jackets warranted a short post for interest both historically and collectability.

During World War II, the Nakamura family was relocated from their home in Hood River, Oregon to the Tule Lake internment camp for Japanese Americans. Terushi, Clifford and George were the three brothers of the family held at Tule Lake from July 1942 to November 1943. Terushi was the eldest at about seventeen, Clifford a middle child two years younger, and George wasn't quite ten yet.

All three went on to join the Army. Terushi was exempt from the draft during the war due to kidney problems, but Clifford enlisted a few days after his nineteenth birthday in 1946. Matt L could only acquire his final pay voucher, so his specific unit is still a mystery. I've not shown his wool shirt which has a beautifully X stitched and embellished IX Corps patch.

Terushi enlisted in 1948 after two years of college at Denver University. He quickly moved into the Counter Intelligence branch and his first overseas assignment was with the 516th CIC Det on Okinawa from 1949 to 1950, returning to the United States May and almost immediately returning to the Far East with the 2d Division in August. At the time the war broke out, there were only a handful of Korean speaking agents in the entire Army and it was necessary to furnish Japanese speaking soldiers to line units. After years of oppression by Japan, almost every Korean spoke Japanese. If direct translation wasn't possible, it was basically a game from telephone from North Korean prisoner through a Korean to Japanese to Japanese to English chain.

Now, I can't find much on the 2d CIC Det in Korea outside of Task Force Indianhead when the few members of the CIC Det along with K Co, 38th Inf. and support from the 72d Tk Bn, 2d Rcn Co, 2d Eng © Bn, some vehicles from the 82d AAA AW Bn, and representatives from the 2d MP Co. A sergeant from the 2d MP Co had the honor of being the first American to enter Pyongyang on 19 October and the small force was soon in possession of the entire city with no resistance. With the 2d CIC Det, Terushi scoured the abandoned concrete buildings for any documents of value. It looks like all the members of the CIC Det received Bronze Stars or Commendations, broadly for merit from August through November, but specifically citing Task Force Indianhead.

By June 1951, Terushi returned to Japan and finished his foreign service with the 441st CIC Det under GHQ. His Ike jacket is undoubtedly from this time, sporting Japanese made bullion Indianhead patch with exquisite detail on the headdress, a nice stiff GHQ patch, and Japanese made chevrons. I have restored the ribbons based on his service file and matching pinholes. Oh -- and the jacket is a size 32R!

I hope you all enjoy this pair. I do not know of the whereabouts of George's uniform...I will have to do some searching. The best part of this is that I asked the seller if there were names or laundry marks in Terushi's jacket - the answer was yes, he thought it belonged to George Nakamura and provided the laundry number. I did some searching and found Terushi in the 2d Division general orders. Thinking George was a nickname or Americanized nickname, I went for it. He then offered Clifford's set. So, always ask questions!

post-3190-0-86091200-1536363027_thumb.jpg

post-3190-0-43264300-1536363037_thumb.jpg

post-3190-0-14837900-1536363061_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

And just two pages from Terushi's extensive file. It was kissed by the fire in 1973 and I'm happy it survived...Matt did a great job getting it for me (and quickly...I was too excited about this one!)

post-3190-0-86159600-1536363254_thumb.jpg

post-3190-0-51311600-1536363262_thumb.jpg