• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

I don't know a whole lot about dog tags but these don't have the notch so I'm assuming post war.  I picked them up because I have never seen LATTER DAY SAINT on a dog tag before.  I was wondering what "ER" in front of the 8 digit number stood for?

Attached Images

• DSCN4264.JPG
  • DSCN4263.JPG

#2 USdog

USdog
  • Members
    • Member ID: 93,633
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Yes tag is post war. Late 50’s early 60’s. He was a WWII vet based on serial number. ER stands for enlisted reserve.

#3 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

Yes tag is post war. Late 50’s early 60’s. He was a WWII vet based on serial number. ER stands for enlisted reserve.

Many thanks for this information.

#4 gatormeat

gatormeat
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,303
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

CD.....don't you have braddock's book?

ER = enlisted reserve incld. members of the enlisted personnel NG transferred from AUS, RA, NGUS

#5 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:25 AM

In more modern times, I have seen some crazy things on dog tags worn by soldiers, especially when it comes to stated religion. I had a soldier who transferred to my unit from the infantry whose religion was listed as "pedestrian." I had another soldier who had "Satan Worshiper" on his. This was a couple of decades ago, so that got him a visit from the chaplain. He said he didn't believe in God, so he just put something on there that would cause a stir. Today, I'm sure nobody would look twice at that. There are even Satanic symbols on military headstones.

Other oddball things that I've found include "batpist" a misspelling of Baptist, a "1st Christian" instead of a simple "Christian" label (she went to the 1st Christian Church in her town), a tag that read "LADDER Day Saint," a "Druid," one "Mickey Mouse Cult," and one salute to the "Blue Oyster Cult."

Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users