Need help with USMC MOH recipient from Vietnam

usmedalman

Can anyone help me with sourcing an official MOH portrait of Maj. Stephen W. Pless? Does anyone know the location of his MOH? I am writing an article on Maj. Pless, who was a UH-1 gunship pilot, and I am trying to track down a few pictures to illustrate the article. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Have you tried the historical division or NMMC? They have archives of photos and a lot of medals in their collection, and are quite pleasant and eager to assist the collecting and historical communities with information

Photo here on his wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_W._Pless

Pless's MoH is in the naval aviation museum in Pensacola, FL. Here's a photograph of the engraving, as originally posted here in April 2016:

post-162020-0-38201700-1536266498_thumb.jpg

Obviously, this is a duplicate, but the engraving retained the original format.

As you no doubt know, Pless died in a motorcycle accident early on the morning of July 20, 1969. Quoting from the excellent book, VIETNAM MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES by Edward F. Murphy, ".....after a night of heavy drinking, Pless raced his motorcycle up an opening drawbridge that spanned Santa Rosa Sound between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach, Florida. Whether he thought he could safely jump the widening gap or planned to stop before his bike reached the barricade will never be known. He and his motorcycle flew into the night air and disappeared. Pless's body was fished from the murky waters of the sound the next day."

At one time I had a copy of the police report covering this incident. The report noted that a paint mark on the opposite span matched a dent on Pless's helmet. Numerous witnesses attested to Pless's extreme intoxication and him speeding off up the draw bridge. Sad. He was an up and comer in the Marine Corps. He's buried at Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola.

Pless's mother, Nancy, whom I believe is now deceased, initiated a campaign after her son's death to obtain a duplicate set of his medals. She claimed Pless's estranged wife had lost all of his original medals. It took some doing but Nancy was nothing if not persistent. It was given to her, no presentation ceremony, sometime in 1969 or 1970. She later donated it to the naval aviation museum in Pensacola.

Interestingly, all three helicopter crewmembers, Capt. Rupert E. Fairchild, GSgt Leroy N. Paulson, and LCPL John G. Phelps, received the Navy Cross for their participation in the rescue mission that earned Pless the MoH. No doubt this is the most highly decorated aircrew in history! Amazingly, none of the three crew members really knew each other before this mission. They had never flown together before. They were just routinely assigned to that aircraft that morning. Phelps' cousin, Wesley, earned a posthumous MoH in WWII.

In 2005 the three NC recipients attended the Legion of Valor convention in Fresno, CA. It was the first time they were together since 1969. It was also the first time since 1969 that all three flew in the same Huey, this time in a demonstration flight. I was fortunate to spend time with them, including sitting with them at a luncheon. Great, humble guys!.

post-162020-0-42442400-1536268090_thumb.jpg

L-R: Paulson, Phelps, Fairchild

I've got another photo of the three of them boarding a Huey during the convention but I don't have any space left to post it.

Hope this helps.

It's an old picture, but the actual Huey that Pless flew on his MoH mission is hanging from the ceiling at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico.

post-106351-0-10363700-1536270375_thumb.jpg

Have you tried the historical division or NMMC? They have archives of photos and a lot of medals in their collection, and are quite pleasant and eager to assist the collecting and historical communities with information

Photo here on his wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_W._Pless

Brigs, thanks for the tip on the NMMC they came through with several great photographs.

Pless's MoH is in the naval aviation museum in Pensacola, FL. Here's a photograph of the engraving, as originally posted here in April 2016:

attachicon.gifStephen Pless, USMC VN Engr Small Final.jpg

Obviously, this is a duplicate, but the engraving retained the original format.

As you no doubt know, Pless died in a motorcycle accident early on the morning of July 20, 1969. Quoting from the excellent book, VIETNAM MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES by Edward F. Murphy, ".....after a night of heavy drinking, Pless raced his motorcycle up an opening drawbridge that spanned Santa Rosa Sound between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach, Florida. Whether he thought he could safely jump the widening gap or planned to stop before his bike reached the barricade will never be known. He and his motorcycle flew into the night air and disappeared. Pless's body was fished from the murky waters of the sound the next day."

At one time I had a copy of the police report covering this incident. The report noted that a paint mark on the opposite span matched a dent on Pless's helmet. Numerous witnesses attested to Pless's extreme intoxication and him speeding off up the draw bridge. Sad. He was an up and comer in the Marine Corps. He's buried at Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola.

Pless's mother, Nancy, whom I believe is now deceased, initiated a campaign after her son's death to obtain a duplicate set of his medals. She claimed Pless's estranged wife had lost all of his original medals. It took some doing but Nancy was nothing if not persistent. It was given to her, no presentation ceremony, sometime in 1969 or 1970. She later donated it to the naval aviation museum in Pensacola.

Interestingly, all three helicopter crewmembers, Capt. Rupert E. Fairchild, GSgt Leroy N. Paulson, and LCPL John G. Phelps, received the Navy Cross for their participation in the rescue mission that earned Pless the MoH. No doubt this is the most highly decorated aircrew in history! Amazingly, none of the three crew members really knew each other before this mission. They had never flown together before. They were just routinely assigned to that aircraft that morning. Phelps' cousin, Wesley, earned a posthumous MoH in WWII.

In 2005 the three NC recipients attended the Legion of Valor convention in Fresno, CA. It was the first time they were together since 1969. It was also the first time since 1969 that all three flew in the same Huey, this time in a demonstration flight. I was fortunate to spend time with them, including sitting with them at a luncheon. Great, humble guys!.

attachicon.gifPless Crew Paulson, Phelps, Fairchild small.jpg

L-R: Paulson, Phelps, Fairchild

I've got another photo of the three of them boarding a Huey during the convention but I don't have any space left to post it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the photo of Poulson, Phelps and Fairfield. It is amazing to think that the USMC just cobbled together crews on a random basis like that. Makes their heroism that day even more remarkable. BTW, I noticed the it is Phelp's name on the nose of the helo, not Pless'. Did the USMC assign helicopters to the crew chiefs rather than to the pilots?

• 2 months later...

. BTW, I noticed the it is Phelp's name on the nose of the helo, not Pless'. Did the USMC assign helicopters to the crew chiefs rather than to the pilots?

Yes, sort of...... Generally the Crewchief "Owned" the bird, they just let us pilots borrow them

According to information I have , the MOH awarded to Pless is in the National Museum of the Marine Corps. That may be where his original medals ended up.