USMC Sword Frog Guidance

MrStiv

Hi guys,

I’m trying to suss out the different types of sword frogs worn by Marines and am getting a little confused.

In the USMC uniform regulations, it describes two types of sword frogs: the service sword frog (or just “service frog”) and a white leather frog attachment worn with the white web sword belt.

None of the sections regarding sword frogs does it refer to a different types for Officers and NCOs, but when I look online they are categorized that way. On the Marlow White site under Marine Officers Swords, for instance, they show only the black service sword frog, and reserve the white leather frog attachment, as well as a black leather version, for NCOs. But the manual says that Officers may wear the white leather frog:

The white web sword belt consists of a white cotton webbing belt with an adjustable hook and pile closure and a white leather frog attachment stitched to the belt to hold the sword…. The sling may be worn by male officers as an option to the shoulder sling. It is worn beneath the coat, with the frog attachment over the top of the left hipbone, at a point where the sword slit is located in the coat.

Bottom line: Do officers wear a different type of sword frog that NCOs?

As always, thanks a million for any info!

OK, you have the right to be confused.

Short answer is that there are in fact two different pieces of US sword hangers that are called "frogs" or even more confusedly "throgs" in older parlance. USMC NCO swords are generally, but not always, worn in a scabbard that has a single frog stud. These swords are worn in what we generally think of as a frog that engages the frog stud. USMC Officer swords are generally worn in a scabbard with two rings. These swords are worn attached to leather/cloth/patent leather straps called "slings". Slings are in turn attached to a belt. That belt attachment, between the slings and the belt, is sometimes called a frog as well.

I understand your confusion due to the rather inconsistent nomenclature.

Some photos of various frogs follow.

I hope this is helpful.

USMC sword hanger.JPG

USMC sword hanger box.JPG

Cadet white sword belt.JPG

Col Cox sword hangers.JPG

GAR belt frog close.JPG

Mills frog.JPG

Thanks Sarge, but I'm still confused :(

On the left is what Marlow White calls a "USMC Officer Sword Frog." The question is this is: Can an NCO wear this sword frog if wearing the NCO equivalent of whatever uniform the Officer is wearing? Or do NCOs wear one of the two on the right, despite the fact that the manual refers to Officers ALSO wearing the white leather frog attachment?

post-168114-0-89567900-1535647691.jpg

post-168114-0-29928400-1535647806.jpg

Since at least the adoption of the Uniform Regulation of 1859, USMC officers have only worn their swords from slings. For the most part, NCOs wear their swords with a sliding frog as Sarge explained. However from at least the adoption of the uniform Regulation of 1875 until the beginning of WWII, regulations called for certain senior/first-class sergeants, e.g. sergeants major and quartermaster sergeants, to wear their swords on slings in the same manner as officers. Despite what the regulations said, I suspect very few NCOs used slings in the post-WWI period. I have only seen two examples of the post-WWI narrow-bladed NCO sword with a scabbard with carrying rings, and have never seen a photo of an NCO wearing one with slings. If anyone has such a picture, I'd love to see it.

Here is a photo of the usual post-WWI NCO sword with a frog stud:

post-160923-0-29859500-1535668106_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a post-WWI NCO sword with carrying rings.

post-160923-0-22705800-1535667050_thumb.jpg