1916 Patton Saber

derrbrad

Finally managed to pick up a 1916 dated example. Chromed plated with the officers garrison scabbard. Second from top.

post-158932-0-40331900-1535412612_thumb.jpg

post-158932-0-07229000-1535412621_thumb.jpg

I never realized some of these dates were so rare until I read Farrington's work. For coin collectors, who want to have an example of every date of every type coin, the date makes a tremendous difference, with rare dates being worth hundreds or even thousands of times more than their common-date brethren. Sword collectors seem less concerned, but still desirable dates do seem to command a premium. I wonder, however, just how much? If a decent 1914 SA in worth $600 give or take, how much would a 1916 example in similar condition typically sell for?

That is a great find, the 1915 and 1916 dates are tough ones to locate in good shape. I've been able to gather the 1913, 1914, 1917, 1918 dates along with an LF&C 1918 and a RAI 1914 trainer.

Good find … congrats!

Spathologist

Can you tell us the serial number?

On my serial number list, which I have admittedly slacked on the last couple of years, out of over 700 numbers recorded I have only seen 9 each dated 1915 and 1916, and one of the 1915 numbers recorded was probably transposed. I've had 3 1916-dated sabers in my collection, but only two 1915-dated.

• 8 months later...

My 1914, from the sisters of a WW2 vet. They owned horses before and after the war, so at first I had hope that he'd served in a pre-war National Guard horse cavalry unit. Nope - draftee, was a Warrant Officer in some Tech speciality. Apparently, he just liked to ride around whacking pumpkins post-war.

Probably bought it out of a barrel at the local hardware store.

Fxelsnc.jpg3u6CWwG.jpg

Can you tell us the serial number?

On my serial number list, which I have admittedly slacked on the last couple of years, out of over 700 numbers recorded I have only seen 9 each dated 1915 and 1916, and one of the 1915 numbers recorded was probably transposed. I've had 3 1916-dated sabers in my collection, but only two 1915-dated.

Check your PMs.