What era is this metal USMC recruiting sign from?

jpipes

I recently acquired this metal USMC recruitment sign when I bought the library of a Korean vet. This sign was in his library. I believe it dates to between 1917 and 1924 based on the font, style of sign, aging, etc. what are your thoughts?

post-181923-0-76298800-1535156093_thumb.jpeg

Thank you! The address on the sign ceased to be valid in the early 1920s so with that article it can be pinpointed specifically to 1919. Now to figure out a realistic value...

Thanks so much for the comments! I had a feeling it would be north of $500 but hearing from others definitely helps confirm that. I had one person offer me 150 with the added bonus that it was a limited offer so I better decide quickly. Yeah.... about that.

Really appreciate the help confirming a date and the ball park value. I believed it to be circa 1917-1924 and it was especially nice to get documented confirmation of it being 1919.

With a piece like this its definitely got the scarce factor. I honestly think it could definitely bring north of $500. Its a super neat piece

Keep in mind the niche factor too...not quite a recruiting poster, so that will exclude a lot of the poster guys right there. Need a solid recruiting collector interest. The fact that the business lasted a year after the sign does nothing for the value to a militaria collector, that type of thing applies to advertising collectors. At $500 I think you'll be sitting on it awhile, but who knows, the right buyer might stumble upon it early.

Buyers will also want well detailed photos...there's no lack of businesses out there churning out repro advertising metal signs, I have a slew of them in my kitchen, and this is in really good shape. Offering a guarantee will increase interest

I certainly understand the niche factor but believe early USMC materials like this are highly collectible. But of course it will take the right person to want it. I also dont plan to milk it for every penny but will find a point I am happy and a seller is motivated.

As for authenticity I will guarantee it unconditionally as I do with everything I sell. I dont have a shop but I am increasingly selling higher end pieces and I guarantee them alll or I wont sell them. I am a collector first and buy stuff for myself all the time and having peace of mind is critical. If I dont believe an item to be legit I wont offer it for sale and I will document it as much as I can as well as often provide letters of provenance. This came from a USMC veteran and I have no doubts about its originality. It has corrosion and proper aging, is made of the correct tin, is stamped not just printed, etc.

Again thanks to all for the thoughts and great conversation.