"Hollywood" shoulder patches?

willysmb44

• 4 weeks later...

Super cool thread! So, I see that some have been able to get a hold of the AF patches for the John Wayne movie, and a few of the other movie patches. Has anyone ever found one of the "White Christmas" patches?

1st INF DIV with black boarder. I dont ever remember seeing one.

From the movie '$'.285e96fe4d87410fbcd1f685b34e43a1.jpga5b4f183f4cfb2c17e55fe5b1c461182.jpg9d8c73e5572177387e11e09df0a86f2d.jpg14a9f85bfa2519765c2f672ac77e2132.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is from a 1971 movie, so yes, this will be a real patch rather than a phony and or made up unit patch as seen in this topic.While not seen that much, or for many units Black merrowed edge fully embroidered subdued's for some units and for some tabs that commonly/exclusively had OD merrowed borders were made in the late 60s into the 70s, a kind of manufacture variant by some manufacturers, and thus could be seen being worn now and again.

The most well known example of this will be the Black merrowed border RANGER tab.

post-34986-0-27068700-1515376066.jpg

Has anyone ever found one of the "White Christmas" patches?

Doesn't seem so. I wish someone would make new ones with the correct edges, as I for sure would put one on a field jacket and wear it to shows!

This is from a 1971 movie, so yes, this will be a real patch rather than a phony and or made up unit patch as seen in this topic.While not seen that much, or for many units Black merrowed edge fully embroidered subdued's for some units and for some tabs that commonly/exclusively had OD merrowed borders were made in the late 60s into the 70s, a kind of manufacture variant by some manufacturers, and thus could be seen being worn now and again.

The most well known example of this will be the Black merrowed border RANGER tab.

attachicon.gif30259150.jpg

Is that marker "bleed over" along the bottom arch of the tab or just some stray threads?

Black borders made with magic marker were a very common occurrence.

That may be the case with the 1st Inf SSI here.

Is that marker "bleed over" along the bottom arch of the tab or just some stray threads?

Black borders made with magic marker were a very common occurrence.

That may be the case with the 1st Inf SSI here.

You might be right, but it's such a low quality blurry screenshot to tell, tried looking around for more images from this movie but no dice.

Doesn't seem so. I wish someone would make new ones with the correct edges, as I for sure would put one on a field jacket and wear it to shows!

Is there a patch that looks like it with just the wrong colour border? If so, what? :)

Is there a patch that looks like it with just the wrong colour border? If so, what? :)

I think for the movie, they used a Army Ground Forces patch over something else. Maybe they were painted on cloth for all I know.

If recall correctly (my wife and watch the movie every Christmas), it was the 151st Armored Division?

By correct edges, I meant non-merrowed like they make patches now.

I think for the movie, they used a Army Ground Forces patch over something else. Maybe they were painted on cloth for all I know.

If recall correctly (my wife and watch the movie every Christmas), it was the 151st Armored Division?

By correct edges, I meant non-merrowed like they make patches now.

Speaking of Army Ground Forces patches willy, in an episode of MASH, CEMENTING RELATIONSHIPS The character played by Joel Brooks as an wounded Italian Army Medical Corps Soldier, Corpsman [sic] Ignazio De Simone, presumably a member of Red Cross Hospital # 68

He has what is clearly an AGF Patch with OD border, but in the Tricolors of the Italian flag, I zoomed into it on a pause, it looks like that's the way it was made, like no colored tapes on, no painted sections, no colored marker/inking, just a patch that was embroidered with Red White and Green thread rather than Red White and Blue thread.

Of course, go figure, I can't find a image of Brooks with this patch on, finding only images where the side the patch is on away from the camera :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A real obscure find just now, Robert Strauss wears a plain White star by itself in the manner of the 2nd Division, this along with a set of subdued tapes and a set subdued Pfc/Pv2 sleeve ranks, a WWII netted helmet along with an M14. The movie is called The Noah, this will be Robert Strauss in his very last role, he passes in February 1975, film released two months later in April of that year.

post-34986-0-70873200-1528852803.jpgpost-34986-0-02426300-1528852864_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
firefighter

A legit patch, but a good find.

Yes. But I thought this was the only thread it would fit in. Wish I could have gotten a better pic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looks like they were aiming for the English Made 101st in the dirty dozen. Id hate to see one of those ones up close. They look very goofy, but good from a distance

Good eye on the 101 patch FF, looks remarkably like the one worn in the 1966 movie Cast a Giant Shadow, note too what we believe is the Longest Day jump uniforms LOL, I posted this in Hollywood Patches #2, should of posted here LOL.

post-34986-0-35681500-1524359295.jpg

Since it is believed that these jackets worn by Douglas and The Duke are wardrobe from The Longest Day, along with one or two more characters, then perhaps a patch from that movie.

There was one scene in The Longest Day were GIs from the 101st Abn Div are seen, remember, it's the scene where Richard Beymer's character, Pvt Arthur Schultz (he's lost) is along a stone wall, and hears noise ducks and the cricket clicking starts,, and raises up at the same time a group on the other side of the wall does too, hey who are you or something he say's right, and they say we're the 101, right after with Schultz tagging along now, both the groups moves on down the wall together, and a group they see down the wall, they think they're OK. they head towards them on the other side of the wall, not really noticing each other remember! a low flying plane of an unknown type zooms above causing both parties to look up. thus not notice each other and both groups continue pass each other, Schultz notices them after a couple of seconds after the Germans pass and goes No!, remember! and then turns back and says Fellas Fellas Germans! to his guys, but they're already gone further away down the wall, and Schultz is alone again

Looks like they were aiming for the English Made 101st in the dirty dozen. Id hate to see one of those ones up close. They look very goofy, but good from a distance

I was thinking the same, English made on felt style. And PATCHES, I thought I saw those eagles before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Buck Rogers and The original Buck Rogers!! Gill Gerard and Buster Keaton (6th ACR).

Buster Keaton was also the original Flash Gordon.

Think the image has been flipped? Or could it be a theatre made reversed horse rampant?

Phill

post-7582-0-82896100-1552720942_thumb.jpg

Good find, Patches (shrunk to fit).

attachicon.gifThe_Sad_Sack.jpg

It looks to me like Lewis is wearing the "151st Armored Division" patch used in White Christmas (post #84). Since both movies were made by Paramount, maybe they used the same ones again for "The Sad Sack".

Dennis