"Hollywood" shoulder patches?

willysmb44

Nah, Its ok to wear a correct uniform for film TV. In fact as long as the military says the script is ok they will give a production company someone to consult on that. The intent is not to impersonate a soldier. Which is what the law os for.

I thought of another one- STARGATE COMMAND! a fake Air Force unit! they have a lot of fake patches (which sadly I own some of) which can also include the patch from Wormhole Extreme if you want to get picky. To include the movie and TV show

Of coursse you also have the Colonial Marines insinignia from Aliens. But I htink once you get into future its not really a fake unit patch untless it is somethigng from a setting in the past or present. Ages ago someone did an article on Star Trek (slassic) insignia for the trading post and there was an uproar as it was NOT military.

I will take the fifth on SF conventions, but yeah. They take it REAL seriously. My BSG friend also has a helf constructed B9 robot from Lost in Space. Hey, Lost in Space must have had some kind of patch?

I worked with a Star Trek fanissimo who was a part-time Klingon. He was also a former Army Armor officer and M-60 platoon leader/Co XO! His kluster of klingons used the NCBU DUIs of the Armored Divs as emblems/awards. The 3rd and 4th ADs' were especially sought after, as they bore no English-language mottos, just red-blue-yellow, with triangles, spearheds, lightning bolts, etc. I think the 194th Armd Bde's may have been used by them as well. They also used the USN WO electrician metal lightning bolts and the 227th Avn Bn/Rgt's DUI. Anything with a motto showing got a new, Klingonese mottos glued over it.

Nah, Its ok to wear a correct uniform for film TV. In fact as long as the military says the script is ok they will give a production company someone to consult on that. The intent is not to impersonate a soldier. Which is what the law os for.
Yep, that's a widely-held misconception that Hollywood uniforms are messed up on purpose. I know plenty of folks who do such things for Hollywood, and the only reason you see them messed up is either a lack of knowledge or the director thought a CIB on a Navy pilot looked "Cool," (don't laugh, I saw it done once).
I thought of another one- STARGATE COMMAND! a fake Air Force unit! they have a lot of fake patches (which sadly I own some of) which can also include the patch from Wormhole Extreme if you want to get picky. To include the movie and TV show
I guess I should have gotten into that show, but it just never took for me. The funny thing is I could "re-enact" that show quite easily here as I live not that far south of the Vancouver (British Columbia) are where they filmed most of the show originally. I know someone into that Star Wars "Imperial Group ( http://www.501stlegion.org/index.php ) who has made a pilgrimage to the Northern California woods they filmed the Endor battle in "Return of the Jedi" with his Stormtrooper armor. I guess it's not much worse than wanting a photo of yourself as a GI on Omaha Beach, but at least that would be based on something that actually happened!

Still, I must admit that I would love to have a complete Star Wars X-wing pilot outfit but have no intentions of building one myself (or paying for one made which probably would cost a fortune).

This one was sent to me a few years ago by a friend in the US as a "Hollywood patch", but without any information about when and where it was used. It's got a merrowed edge and plastic coating on the back so I assume it's for something from the late 1960s onwards.

post-4837-1228614485.jpg

It would be cool to have a uniform from Stargate. :D

I like the patch.

Erwin

"The patch"? The Star Gate franchise has apparently come up with enough insignia to represent an entire military establishment. See some samples from

http://scifipatch.bizland.com/SCIFIPATCH2.html

For the most part, the show has done a pretty good job of adhering to current standards and conventions for military insignia. I particularly like the beret flash and the UN patch. The Stargate "Project Patch" (the blue earth with the location symbol) looks like some of the Nasa mission patches. They even have a patch for the gate maintenance crew!

Star_Gate_Project.jpg

Star_Gat_Prometheus.jpg

Star_Gate_UN.jpg

Star_Gate_Atlantas.jpg

Star_Gate_Flash.jpg

Star_Gate_Gatekeepers.jpg

Two more from Star Gate that should be discussed a little bit further:

The USAF Space Command patch is a copy of the actual patch for the actual Space Command. Various fan sites have identified it as "Stargate Command". This one looks to be a reproduction which is odd considering the number of real ones that are available.

Then there is the new USAF logo patch. This maybe a case of Art imitating Life imitating Art, or the opposite.

There is a version of the new USAF logo patch worn on the show as seen below and in other configurations. The funny thing is I have read real USAF personnel referring to this as the US Air Force "Star Gate" patch! Too funny!

Star_Gate_Space_command.jpg

Star_Gate_USAF.jpg

The USAF Space Command patch is a copy of the actual patch for the actual Space Command. Various fan sites have identified it as "Stargate Command". This one looks to be a reproduction which is odd considering the number of real ones that are available.

Why is it a copy? These patches are made in quite a few different versions.

-Ski

Sadly I am a fan of stargate (and why not with Amanda Tapping on it?).

One of the things they have done is always worked pretty closely with the Air Force who provides not only tech advisors, but gets them acess to thgins like fighters and such. And of course the tech advisors are parodied in the episode of Wormhole extreme where O'Neil plays one on that show.

Possibly the funniest thing about SG is that if you go to the real Cheyanne Mountain (where SC+GC supposedly is) there is a plain door in one corridor labeled Stargate Command" It is, in fact, a broom closet. (or... so they say......)

But I just stumbled on aother one. By hcance I flipped to Close Enocounters of the Third Kind. One of the officers is wearing a military looking windbreaker and on the left shoulder is a patch that looks like a 5th SF flash, only bigger and taller. (it was justa quick look I saw so maybe I was wrong).

Why is it a copy? These patches are made in quite a few different versions.

-Ski

The one shown above came from the vendor http://scifipatch.bizland.com/SCIFIPATCH2.html

It looks like a commercially produced reproduction. While it comes close to the original design,

it is just a bit off in a couple of ways. The biggest thing to my eye is the lettering is too small.

Also look at the "orbit" symbols around the earth... on the one above they are almost rectangular.

Here is a USAF Space Command patch currently up for sale on eBay for comparison.

USAF_Space_Command.jpg

Star_Gate_Space_command.jpg

Well, I think it is original. It's cheaper to find a seller that has them on hand, than it is to have them made up, especially a MAJCOM patch. AFSC patches come in all forms and sizes. Here are a pair with yellow lettering...

-Ski

post-3043-1228749170.jpg

Well, I think it is original. It's cheaper to find a seller that has them on hand, than it is to have them made up, especially a MAJCOM patch. AFSC patches come in all forms and sizes. Here are a pair with yellow lettering...

-Ski

I'll give you this much... if some one were to sew it onto a uniform and walk around base with it on, I doubt it would be challenged!

You could always order one from the site listed above and take a look at it first hand.

vintageproductions

-Ski

The above is not neccessarily true. We were contacted on numerous occasions by the TV show JAG's wardrobe department, for patches. For the wardrobe person to buy the squadron patches they needed they had to pay $5.00 to $10.00 a piece through the bases or the squadrons. We took them to a local embroidery company and had them made for around $.75 each. They were exact to the unit's patches. In fact we did the same thing for them for various police department patches they needed for shows . So a lot of times it is easier and cheaper for production companies to have them made, then to try and buy them from someone who already has them in stock.

The above is not neccessarily true. We were contacted on numerous occasions by the TV show JAG's wardrobe department, for patches. For the wardrobe person to buy the squadron patches they needed they had to pay $5.00 to $10.00 a piece through the bases or the squadrons. We took them to a local embroidery company and had them made for around $.75 each. They were exact to the unit's patches. In fact we did the same thing for them for various police department patches they needed for shows . So a lot of times it is easier and cheaper for production companies to have them made, then to try and buy them from someone who already has them in stock.

Point taken. thumbsup.gif

-Ski

Not to beat this to death, but when you have these commercial sellers selling to a wide market they are often having their patches made by just one or two manufacturers. It is cheaper for them to turn over a couple dozen designs to their vendor in China and get everything made at once rather than trying to track down this design or that one in limited numbers all over the country. We do it as collectors and dealers looking for one or two or even ten at a time, but if you are looking to sell a couple hundred of a given design over the internet, it is just cheaper and easier to make up your own.

• 2 weeks later...
dogfacedsoldier

Someone mentioned the Hawaiin Dept. patch on the original BSG, it is seen in different scenes throughout the series. The insignia can be seen on the walls of the "bar". Also at different times there are other patches to be seen on the uniforms of characters all through the series.

Jon

vintageproductions

Heres some I forgot to post earlier.

1st is the shoulder patch for the 16th air force from the John Wayne movie Jet Pilot.

16af.JPG

vintageproductions

This is the 18th Air Force. It was made in 1946 or 1947 for the movie Invaders From Mars or Mars Invades, I can't remember the exact name of the film.

18af.JPG

vintageproductions

Here is one of my favorite movie patches, next to the Riverine Apocalypse patch. This was for the movie Wag The Dog, starring Robert DeNiro & Dustin Hoffman. This patch and beret and uniform were made for the elite unit 303.

3031.JPG

Beret patch close-up

3032.JPG

The uniform, with cape and beret.

"Come'on Higgins, I really need the Ferrari tonight...."

VMO-2 Da Nang baseball cap similar to that worn on Magnum PI.

Magnum_PI_hat.jpg

Here is another Insignia made for Hollywood

The 904th Strategic Aerospace Wing from Carmandy AFB, California

Filmed at Beale AFB the 904th was the B-52 wing commanded by Rock Hudson in the "A Gathering of Eagles"

The Aircraft Men and Equipment were from the 4126th Strategic Wing all other insignia displayed in the

alert briefing room and on uniforms of the Airman were correct to the assigned Squadrons, just the the 904th Strategic Aerospace Wing Insignia

was a Hollywood creation.

Terry L Horstead

post-3627-1230135324.jpg