"Hollywood" shoulder patches?

willysmb44

I was thinking about the movie, "White Christmas," at the beginning when it shows the fictional 151st Armored Division patches and bumper markings on the vehicles. At the end, everyone is wearing the divisional patch which to me looks a lot like a Army Ground Forces patch sewn onto a tan shield (which is shaped like an inverted, oversized modern beret "flash" patch). I can only imagine it was made for the movie as I'm pretty sure it's not a real insignia anyone ever used. Does anyone know of a vendor who can make small numbers of patches that would have the WW2-style edges to them? I'd love to mess with people's minds at a parade or something with that on a M-43 jacket and matching bumper marking on my MB.

And while I'm on that subject, is there any other fictitious unit insignia out there from other movies that you can think of? The only ones that stick in my mind are the squadron insignias in the movie, "Catch 22," which were very well done on the jackets. I've been told that ASMIC ran an article on movie patches but I've never seen it.

Please note: I am not talking about Phantom Divisions, I'm talking about totally fake insignia made up for theatrical purposes only! I bring this up because I fully expect someone to bring this up anyway.

Well, there's the 18th Air Force and the 28th Inf Div lookalike where the top is "pointed" insead of squared off. I don't recall which movie it was in.

-Ski

The patch in "White Christmas" is for the 157th Inf Div and it drove me crazy when I was a kid looking for it.

The Trading Post, published by ASMIC, had an article in the Apr-Jun 2005 issue, w/ lots of images of these "movie patches", that is, patches made for ficticious units in movies. Sometimes the designs were completely imaginative, and other times, they used standard US Army SSI and tweaked them.

Send PM for info on patch manufacturer.

The patch in "White Christmas" is for the 157th Inf Div and it drove me crazy when I was a kid looking for it.

The Trading Post, published by ASMIC, had an article in the Apr-Jun 2005 issue, w/ lots of images of these "movie patches", that is, patches made for ficticious units in movies. Sometimes the designs were completely imaginative, and other times, they used standard US Army SSI and tweaked them.

Send PM for info on patch manufacturer.

Speaking of "tweaks", I vaguely remember a scene in "Seven Faces of Eve" of soldiers wearing a patch based on the 45th Div SSI, but without the Thunderbird's head or tail. Also, anyone remember "A Soldier's Story", whose actors wore a patch based on the 93rd Chemical Mortar Bn SSI but with a different (3 digit?) number?

Bob

A couple examples:

PBR patch from Apocalypse Now, actually made in the Philippines, and based on the real design for USN River Patrol Section 513 (with the V for "5").

This example is from the collecton of Clem Kelly.

USN_518_PBR_Apocalypse_Now_small.JPG

USN_518_PBR_Apocalypse_Now_b_small.JPG

Next, a printed CIB that was part of a lot of badges that were made up for Hamburger Hill. This came out of a surplus shop in Oklahoma City that made them for the movie.

And one of my favorites, a modified 28th INF Div patch reportedly used in an Elvis Presley movie. These were purchased at the legendary Military Shop of Hawaii and were purchased at the MGM studio auction that cleared their back lots years ago.

CIB_printed.JPG

Elvis.JPG

And an item that is tough to sort out.... from the movie "Born on the 4th of July". For one of the protest scenes, the crowd were wearing remade Vietnam Veteran's Against the War buttons. A number of these were showing up on eBay for years. The problem is that due to a lack of markings on both the originals and the copies, reportedly there is no way to tell them apart. This example is believed to be an original.

Vn_Vets_Against_the_War.jpg

Good thread. I keep thinking there are more, but my mind is blank.

I've always kept my eyes open for one of those Soldier Story patches.

One that "sort of" fits the bill is the 29th ID patches made for Private Ryan that were made with the modern green edge... In theory that is a non-exsistant patch for the time period that was made for a film (yeah, someone screwed up, but they ended up mostly using them for large groups).

The funniest military patch/ film item I recall though is when the original Battlestar Galactica used the SCARWAF patch for the Pegasus. Oh and the 29th Patch used in Start Trek Voyager when the guy says he was 10th Armored infnatry or somehting liek that. It was a case where the poor costime guy was told there was no mention of any unit at all, just put the same patch on all the US uniforms... and when he saw the hsow later on, turns out there WAS a unit mention after all...

The funniest military patch/ film item I recall though is when the original Battlestar Galactica used the SCARWAF patch for the Pegasus. Oh and the 29th Patch used in Start Trek Voyager when the guy says he was 10th Armored infnatry or somehting liek that. It was a case where the poor costime guy was told there was no mention of any unit at all, just put the same patch on all the US uniforms... and when he saw the hsow later on, turns out there WAS a unit mention after all...

I remember laughing as a kid while watching Battlestar Galactica as well, but for another patch being worn. I don't know the charactor's names, but one of the leadership figures wore the Hawaiian Department patch on the chest throughout the series.

-Ski

Speaking of "tweaks", I vaguely remember a scene in "Seven Faces of Eve" of soldiers wearing a patch based on the 45th Div SSI, but without the Thunderbird's head or tail. Also, anyone remember "A Soldier's Story", whose actors wore a patch based on the 93rd Chemical Mortar Bn SSI but with a different (3 digit?) number?

Bob

The patch is in the ASMIC article - the 221st Chemical whatever they were...

The OLD Battlestar Galactica seriescirca 1979 used MI branch insignia as Starfighter Pilot emblems, 78th Inf Div (sometimes one up and one down to create a full circle with two lightning bolts) for powerplant crew, and IIRC 40th Inf Div, set square, with a border of red or yellow. I think they also used the USAF "pocket rocket" in metal for something.

Jon, How about the 35th Division patches being worn in "Kelly's Heroes" when most (if not all) the vehicles are marked for Oddball's Armored Division (can't recall which one, I think the 6th)?

This will date me, but a patch I always desired was the one worn by the military personnel in Time Tunnel, an Irwin Allen TV series from the 1960's. This was from back in the good ole days when big ticket science and research projects were controlled by the Pentagon and the experiments conducted out in the desert somewhere.

I watched it in black and white, so I always assumed the patch was also in black and white. I also had it in my mind as a very simple hour glass on a white circle.

While I don't own one of these (yet), a quick search on the internet reveals something quite different from what I remember.

Apparently the same insignia was also used in something called "Time Cop" and other movies as well.

The first image comes from the website The Irwin Allen News Network

www.iann.net/timetunnel/tunnel.htm

Note the insignia prominent on the floor.

The next one comes from a fan site http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/THETIMETUNNEL/

You will note the insigia on Lee Merriweather's lab coat. I looked for photos of soldiers wearing as an SSI, but came up with only one, and very distant.

Next is a current repro found with several vendors on the web.

And finally, believe it or not, there is a vendor out there who has an uncut sheet of four reportedly left over from wardrobe for the modest price of $150! If anyone wants to send me a Christmas present, this would be it!

Time_Tunnel_center.JPG

Time_Tunnel_uniform_2.JPG

Time_Tunnel_maybe.jpg

Time_Tunnel_original.jpg

I could only find the Battlestar Galactica SCARFWAF patch with Lloyd Bridges. I can't seem to find one with the Hawaiian Department patch, though. :(

-Ski

post-3043-1228369182.jpg

I could only find the Battlestar Galactica SCARFWAF patch with Lloyd Bridges. I can't seem to find one with the Hawaiian Department patch, though. :(

-Ski

That's just the kind of thing that messes up your mind if you are a militaria collector and you are trying to watch a science fiction show. It used to drive me nuts every time I recognized the MI insignia on their collars.

Okay... call me obsessed....

I did some more digging, and came up with a "Time Tunnel" MP or Security Guard. Hey, when you are 8 years old, this stuff looks as real as can be!

They also used Khaki uniforms as well, but I could not find a decent photo.

Also, an other shot of the Time Tunnel itself with the emblem on the floor before it.

And while not the best photo, this shows the General in his dress Khaki uniform with the patch as a shoulder sleeve insignia.

These came from the fan site http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/tt/00004.html

Time_Tunnel_MP.jpg

Time_Tunnel_Entrance_2.jpg

Time_Tunnel_general.jpg

ah ...Time Tunnel - good stuff

but as to the MI insignia on Battstar Galatica, I madea some money selling them to fans of the show, so I didn't mind it being used at all !

If you think us collectors are weird, try talking to some of th diehard SF show folks who make up their own uniforms. One of my friends makes current BSG stuff, and they dig out the original fabric makers name and go buy anything they still have in stock.

Its like they send spies into the place to figure out who made each item, and or where they got everything.

There was a US TV series on here in Norway not that long ago called Army Wives about the life on an army base. The unit was 23rd AB Div (I think) and they had their own fictitious shoulder patch. A few other shoulder patches were used as well (most of them real ones) and also some beret flashes.

FightenIrish35

ironicly i was just watching the new incredible hulk movie yesterday and there was two thing i pointed out. In one seen the "general"has colonel eagles on his shoulders instead of stars. And also he had his oversea stripes on his right sleeve with nothing on the left. Kind of humorous at first but then it kept iritating me because i couldnt stop noticing it.

If you think us collectors are weird, try talking to some of th diehard SF show folks who make up their own uniforms. One of my friends makes current BSG stuff, and they dig out the original fabric makers name and go buy anything they still have in stock.

Its like they send spies into the place to figure out who made each item, and or where they got everything.

Jon, you know I know who you're talking about, but a buddy of mine is doing the same thing (they probably have seen each other's stuff online I'd bet). This guy has a complete Viper pilot rig with helmet. When he told me how much money he put into it, I almost had a stroke. That stuff ain't cheap. He tried to get me into it and now I have a Captain's set of insignia for their "Class A" complete with unmarked dog tags. Afterward, I wondered why I put any money into that at all as I'd likely never wear anything like that, even if someone gave it to me. I like Science Fiction but going to a convention with something like that is NOT something I'd like to do.

Another guy I know has a complete Star Wars "Stormtrooper" set of armor and I admit having a weakness for that stuff. At one point I thought about getting a set myself until I tried his set on. Man, that's uncomfortable beyond belief!

I did some more digging, and came up with a "Time Tunnel" MP or Security Guard. Hey, when you are 8 years old, this stuff looks as real as can be!
I never got into that show but I must admit a thing for Sci-Fi related uniforms myself. At one point I looked into the new Dr Who series and the fictional "UNIT" military group, thinking a set of ACUs with a "UNIT" patch would be a neat thing to have (as I already have most of the stuff to go with it from my reserve time). I was initially shocked to find nobody make the patches, which I thought would be easy to find. Later, someone decided to make them after all and I still might get one just in case: http://www.intergalactictrading.com/product.cfm?pid=DWPAUN02

And then there's what I think is the ultimate Sci-fi military gear of all time: Colonial Marines from Aliens! http://www.colonialmarines.net/index2.html

There was a US TV series on here in Norway not that long ago called Army Wives about the life on an army base. The unit was 23rd AB Div (I think) and they had their own fictitious shoulder patch. A few other shoulder patches were used as well (most of them real ones) and also some beret flashes.
That show was made for a woman-friendly network. As a former Army Captain, I can't stand it. My wife loves it, even though I remind her of two things: 1. She hated actually BEING an Army wife and told me so almost every day I left for duty. 2. Any similarities between that show and the real military are purely coincidental. thumbdown.gif

Jake, I also have a few BoB and SPR things myself including the patches. It is pretty cool to have, ain't it?

That show was made for a woman-friendly network. As a former Army Captain, I can't stand it. My wife loves it, even though I remind her of two things: 1. She hated actually BEING an Army wife and told me so almost every day I left for duty. 2. Any similarities between that show and the real military are purely coincidental. thumbdown.gif

Jake, I also have a few BoB and SPR things myself including the patches. It is pretty cool to have, ain't it?

I didn’t like it either, but my wife did. I watched a couple of episodes and noticed a few of the different insignia used, I guess those interested me more than the show.

ironicly i was just watching the new incredible hulk movie yesterday and there was two thing i pointed out. In one seen the "general"has colonel eagles on his shoulders instead of stars. And also he had his oversea stripes on his right sleeve with nothing on the left. Kind of humorous at first but then it kept iritating me because i couldnt stop noticing it.

I'm not sure it's true, but I heard a long time ago that any current US military uniforms worn in a movie or series in the US had to have some error to it, so it differentiated from the real thing. This might be a ribbon out of order, insignia misplaced, etc. I don't remember where I heard it from though.

-Ski