81st Division's Tuffy replaced with Dog Mascot WW1

nchistory

Wow! What a great yard long! I love seeing images of Doughboys fresh off the homecoming transport ships.

Almost always an unkempt gang wearing an assortment of varied equipment & clothing and carrying all manner of regulation and non-regulation gear.

Thanks Brian, yes they are a fresh motely crew.

world war I nerd

It's interesting that, equipment-wise, they all appear to be wearing cartridge or pistol belts with canteens.

This was likely because the men were under orders when onboard the troopship to always be in possession of their cartridge or pistol belts with a full canteen attached at all times. This was a precaution to ensure that each man would have a full canteen (of water) in the event that they had to unexpectedly abandon ship. I know that going over to Europe, this rule was rigidly enforced. Apparently, it was the same when returning to the States.

A great image … Too bad there's no name to go with the possible replacement mascot.

It's interesting that, equipment-wise, they all appear to be wearing cartridge or pistol belts with canteens.

This was likely because the men were under orders when onboard the troopship to always be in possession of their cartridge or pistol belts with a full canteen attached at all times. This was a precaution to ensure that each man would have a full canteen (of water) in the event that they had to unexpectedly abandon ship. I know that going over to Europe, this rule was rigidly enforced. Apparently, it was the same when returning to the States.

A great image Too bad there's no name to go with the possible replacement mascot.

Great information, thank you as always Brian.