• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#376 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,143
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:12 AM

In this 1915 copyrighted postcard, also designed by Wallace Robinson, a Pit Bull swathed in red, white and blue proclaims that, "I'm Neutral, BUT - Not Afraid of any of them  - them being a pack of various dog breeds, each of which represented one of the belligerent European nations embroiled in war

Attached Images

• 326-Im-Neutral.jpg

#377 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

A very nice French postcard, designed by an artist known only as "Right". It bears a rather youthful image of America's Uncle Sam and France's Marianne. For those who don't already know (one of whom was me, until I looked it up), "Marianne" is an enduring symbol of the French Republic, and of France in general.

Attached Images

• 327-Uncle-Sam-&-Marianne.jpg

#378 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

American Red Cross postcard depicting the painting by J.F. Bouchor, the official painter to the French Army, of the American flag saluting the statue of Strasbourg during the AEF's July 4, 1917 parade in Paris.

Attached Images

• 328-American-Flag-Salutes.jpg

#379 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

A very angry young Army recruit, with mop in hand, complaining about his current duty.

Attached Images

• 329-I-Wonder.jpg

#380 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:26 AM

A Doughboy explaining what the hidden message written between the lines of his homeward bound missive to his sweetie means to an officer, whos duty is to censor each soldier's outgoing mail.

Attached Images

• 330-Mail-Censor.jpg

#381 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

The message written on this nifty German anti-U.S. propaganda postkarte is still not completely clear to me. However, the gist of the message is: Uncle Sam (I think, depicted as President Wilson),  standing on a pier with a soldier a sack full of military supplies, and military ammunition (each of which, I think, sort of represent his or America's children), gazes up at the gathering storm clouds, currently obscuring a sun (that I think, is represented by a Japanese soldier - at the time Japan was thought to be unfriendly to the US), and at the U-boat infested Atlantic ocean in front of him, mutters something like … "Children I believe we should stay home", or something like that.

By the way, can anybody accurately translate the German text on this card into English?

Attached Images

• 331-German-Anti-US-Card.jpg

#382 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

More mediocre verse combined with a rifle and images of the flags of the Allied nations in the form of a WW I patriotic postcard.

Attached Images

• 332-Allied-Flags.jpg

#383 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

Last card of the day ...

Another postcard in the string of "The Sammies in Paris" series of postcards designed by the French artist Jean Tam. In it, a cherub Sammy dressed as a cowboy drinks champagne and smokes tobacco with a patriotic French damsel decked out in red, white and blue garb.

More cards to come, including AEF Christmas, New Years, Easter, and other holiday postcards.

Thanks for looking, and if you have any, please add comments or any WW I/American themed patriotic and propaganda postcards.

Attached Images

• 333-Sammies-in-Paris.jpg

#384 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Wow. If you had a nickel for every one of these cards, you'd be able to buy more cards!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users