H&H IMPERIAL QUESTION

Costa

Greetings Costa,

I found a reference to H&H taking over Imperial in 1942

http://www.wartimecollectables.com/hallmarks-of-us-badges---insignia.html

To save you time /..... here is what it says

H-H bought Imperial in 1942, and used both hallmarks until 1943. After 1943 the name "Imperial", H-H also had the "Viking" line as well.
Below is the most commonly seen H&H hallmark.
zh67.jpg

I think that should say... after 1943 they dropped the imperial.... ?

That would mean they were made with that hallmark for about a year. Making them rare?

They are not that common on ebay.

H&H and Imperial wings hallmarked wings are relatively common. I wouldn't call them rare by an stretch of the imagination. Remember, 1943-1944 were pretty much the peak of US aviation, as the war would end early in 1945. One could quibble, but I suspect that by that time, H&H was churning out a ton of product every month.

H&H and Imperial wings hallmarked wings are relatively common. I wouldn't call them rare by an stretch of the imagination. Remember, 1943-1944 were pretty much the peak of US aviation, as the war would end early in 1945. One could quibble, but I suspect that by that time, H&H was churning out a ton of product every month.

But werent the wings Marked with both H&H and Imperial only made for a short time?

Never mind... I see what you are saying....

I just thought at 1 year production there wouldnt have been that many....

The hallow back Vanguards for instance...... are all over the place...

I dont see too many wings marked with H&H and Imperial on the same wing.

But after 3 months collecting... Theres prob a whole lot Ive not seen.

One can only imagine how much insignia was churned out beginning in 1942 - it wouldn't surprise me if H&H had huge stocks of H&M/Imperial marked pieces that continued to be distributed and sold well past 1943.

Just as a general rule of thumb based on my own observations, of the hallmarked USN aviator wings, I think AMICO, LGB, and H&H (including H&H/imperial) are all the most common WWII avaitor wings you will find out there.

Vanguard and (maybe) Gemsco wings are next. NS Meyers is actually kind of a scarce wing to find (and there are more than a few variations) but it seems to be more common that the AECo-made wings. The Blackington wings are scarce. Robbins, Pancraft and NANCO are also relatively scarce (although I suspect Pancraft and NANCO are strickly WWII vintage, while some of the Robbins wings can be as early as WWI (there are a number of threads about them). NUS (Naval Uniform Supply) shows up now and then. Amcraft is another rare one to see. BB&B shows up very rarely and frankly I usually have issues with many of the ones I do see... as there are a great deal of fakes. This is not an exhaustive list (I've left out the foreign made wings, and the unmarked ones).

• 3 weeks later...