Question about Cannon Company within Infantry Division

Tonomachi

Would an enlisted solider who is assigned to the Cannon Company of a WW2 Infantry Division wear artillery collar brass or infantry collar brass. Also would this soldier be eligible for a CIB?

I recently saw a discharge for a soldier assigned to a Cannon company, and he was awarded the CIB. He was a rifleman. Not sure about the collar brass though.

I recently saw a discharge for a soldier assigned to a Cannon company, and he was awarded the CIB. He was a rifleman. Not sure about the collar brass though.

There was something I read on the Internet that stated that some soldiers assigned to Cannon Companies fought as infantry so I was wondering if they were considered artillery or infantry?

Could have been forward observers or in a case like the Battle of the Bulge many artillerymen fought as infantry. My guess if you were assigned to a Cannon Company you were always considered Artilleryman unless your designation was officially changed, say if you were transferred to an infantry company formally. That said, it wouldn't surprise me so see a uniform with artillery collar disks with a CIB either issued or self-issued.

Best,

Bill

Could have been forward observers or in a case like the Battle of the Bulge many artillerymen fought as infantry. My guess if you were assigned to a Cannon Company you were always considered Artilleryman unless your designation was officially changed, say if you were transferred to an infantry company formally. That said, it wouldn't surprise me so see a uniform with artillery collar disks with a CIB either issued or self-issued.

Best,

Bill

Makes sense and thanks for everyone's input.

Cpl. Punishment

I have owned and handled multiple cannon company uniforms and they all have infantry collar brass and CIB.

These units were still considered the infantry as they were part of the infantry regiment.

I have owned and handled multiple cannon company uniforms and they all have infantry collar brass and CIB.

These units were still considered the infantry as they were part of the infantry regiment.

Many thanks for this follow up info.

+1 Infantry.

A Cannon Company Guidon, here the 104th Infantry Division's 415th Infantry.

post-105245-0-89315700-1442157018.jpg

As a aside, in the PENTOMIC ERA Infantry Battle Group 1957-63, the group had a Heavy Mortar Battery (4.2 Mortars), this one was manned by Artilleryman for some reason, rather than Infantrymen and just called a Heavy Mortar Company.

Great question! Here is one write-up that I have found:

The infantry Cannon Company, not to be confused with Artillery, was tasked with the operation of the one and a half ton 105 mm howitzer. The company consisted of three cannon platoon, each platoon with two sections, and a headquarters group. Proficiency in the use of the M1 rifle, M1 carbine and grenades was augmented by training with the bazooka as an antitank weapon. The howitzer section was made up of a section chief, gunner, truck driver, and seven cannoneers who alternately performed the duties of sighting, preparing ammunition, loading, and supplying ammunition.

http://www.schistory.net/campcroft/cannon.html

And members of a Cannon Company as well as the Anti Tank Company were awarded the CIB.

Case in point.

post-1761-0-55814400-1500296967.jpg

George Macon Shuffer, Jr. recipient of three awards of the Combat Infantryman Badge, in WWII he was in the Anti-Tank Company 368th Infantry Regiment 93rd Infantry Division out in the Pacific ( he was in 25th Inf Div in Korea, and the 1st Inf Div in Vietnam)