Fixed bail questions

kilgarvan

Hello. This is my first fixed bail front seam. Has a blue tint. Is it Navy? It's also named. Can anybody help with this this soldiers record? And what's this worth?

post-150849-0-56159400-1534344106_thumb.jpg

The liner is mid ww2 / transitional as evidenced by the tuked in ends of the strap the nape strap snaps into. (Edit, I see it is marked in pen with 19 53. Quite possible it was made in @ 1943, but then issued and or re-issued during Korea)

I don't see a blue tint in the pictures, but just about anything is possible.

If you look inside the shell, just in baqck of the front of the rim, look for a number/letter combination. (ie 131A). If you can see this, it can be used to date the helmet itself.

Value is what someone is willing to pay. The broken liner chinstrap hurts it (or rather doesn't add to the value). Otherwise I'd guess anywhere from $75-150 on the shell, and probably about the same for the liner given that it is somewhat early.

Thanks! I thought the 1953 might be the soldiers laundry mark and not a date. But, who knows. I'm in this for $100 so sounds like I made out.

Number inside helmet is 246C. Might you be able to date this for me?

Usually a laundry mark is 4 digits and a letter.

I'll check the heatstamp number when I get home later, but off the top of my head I'm thinking that's @ mid 1943.

I'd say for $100 you did well.

RememberThe5thESB

100 bucks is a steal. Liner is early war and the sweatband is the rare buckle type... Fixed bail shells alone often go for double that price. 

What do you mean early buckle type?

Also when the heck did fixed bails go up so high? Last year I could find multiple examples that went for 65 or so, I even got one for that price!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

RememberThe5thESB

With straps?

Well not original straps anyways, green Vietnam straps came with it but I took those off.

Yes, collectors prefer the original straps, sewn on in the factory. Still a very nice helmet. What I mean by the early buckle type sweatband is that the closure relies on two pieces of wire, it certainly looks like it from the pictures. Those sweatbands for the most part were made in 1942 and are hard to find. So are helmet liners with unpainted steel A-washers. The liner itself is worth your 100 bucks.

Edit: it appears the sweatband is the mid-war type with the green painted closures if you look more closely. This would make it a little less valuable. Still nice original ww2 parts and quite desirable.

What do you mean early buckle type?

Also when the heck did fixed bails go up so high? Last year I could find multiple examples that went for 65 or so, I even got one for that price!

Last year fixed bails where going for 65 bucks ? Tell me where and I would love to buy one.

- Dean

RememberThe5thESB

EBay believe it or not, that's where I got my one and only fixed bail for $65, buy it now price too.