DSC #6446

Gary B

Hi,

Is DSC #6446 traceable? I believe it is within the range of DSC numbers that might be able to be identified.

I have reason to believe it was awarded to a Marine since it is accompanied by a Navy Cross.

Gary B

Gary,

It skips from #6400 to 6601...I have noticed USMC numbers are found in those blanks when lucky.

Can't find a name for that number in my Gleim books. Looks to be a big gap of untraceable numbers between 6300s to 6600s.

I have found that the Marine DSC's in that number range were posthumous awards made by HQ Marine Corps after the War - You may want to look at KIA's that were awarded the NC & DSC - Years ago I did an OMSA Journal article on Marine Gunner Walter Cornell who was an early KIA and his DSC that was sent to his family was in that range.

Bill

Thanks for the information. I was in a restaraunt here in VA and saw a framed set of WWI USMC medals (DSC, NC, Victory Medal, Marksmanship award etc). Next to it was a plaque that said they were found wrapped in newspaper on the doorstep of a Marine recruiting station.

Gary B

One could ask the question: If it was turned into a Recruiting Station than why didn't the Recruiters turn it into the Marine Corps Museum unless they used it for "Trade" with the restaurant - I heard stories years ago that recruiters would accept donations of Uniforms, Medals etc and sell them to collectors and pocket the cash.

Bill

One could ask the question: If it was turned into a Recruiting Station than why didn't the Recruiters turn it into the Marine Corps Museum unless they used it for "Trade" with the restaurant - I heard stories years ago that recruiters would accept donations of Uniforms, Medals etc and sell them to collectors and pocket the cash.

Bill

The first Purple Heart I ever owned was exactly that...given to a recruiter to mount as part of a display and then sold. I found that out when I tracked down the original recipient's widow and she screamed at me over the phone. Ouch!

Not to bash recruiters at all...but...an applicable story!

Bill

Hi Bill,

While I do not know how the medals got from the recruiting station to the restaurant, they are, IMO, in a place where they will receive the honor & respect they deserve.

They are actually displayed on the wall of a local watering hole near the gates of Quantico (Crossroads of the Marines). The establishment is owned by a Marine and is frequented by vets (mainly Marines) and their families. The walls are covered in Marine insignia, personalized photos of Marine Generals, Marine CMoH recipients, senior Marine NCOs and foreign dignitaries. It is actually not too far from the Marine museum. I guess if they were not at the Marine museum this is about as good a place as any.

Gary B

Agreed - I assume you mean the "Globe and Laurel" - Better than a Museum!!

Bill

Bill,

Yes, the Globe and Laurel! I assume most Marines who pass through the VA area have been to it (it seems to be almost as well known/visited as the Iwo Jima memorial!)

Gary B