100 Years Ago- First Woman Marine (and a Hoosier too!)

BEAST

August 13th was the 100th anniversary of Opha May Johnson enlisting into the Marines. Edited from Wikipedia:

"Opha May Jacob was born on 4 May 1879 in Kokomo, Indiana. Jacob graduated from the shorthand and typewriting department of Wood's Commercial College in Washington, D.C. in 1895. Johnson became the first known woman to enlist in the Marine Corps on 13 August 1918, when she joined the Marine Corps Reserve during World War I. Johnson, due to being first in line that day, was the first of over 300 women to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserve during World War I.

According to 1918 newspaper articles, as well as the published history of Women Marines in World War I, Johnson's first duties were as a clerk at Headquarters Marine Corps, managing the records of other female reservists who joined after she did.

On 11 July 1919, the American Legion granted a charter to the first post of women's Marine Corps reservists. Known as Belleau Wood Post No. 1, its membership consisted of 90 women who had worked at Headquarters Marine Corps. Johnson was a charter member of this post. After her brief military career, she became a clerk in the War Department."

Opha Johnson (far right) in 1946, with Katherine Towle (far left). They are looking at Opha Johnsons uniform being worn by PFC Muriel Albert.

post-203-0-49028600-1534262040.jpg

Very cool! Thanks so much for posting this tribute! I

Katherine Towle, who is also pictured, was the second director of the USMCWR. Great picture!

Kat