Today's Find: Bayonet Knife

aznation

Just picked this knife up today. I thought it was very unusual to say the least. The only identifiable markings on it is US and 308166. I'm not an expert on bayonets, but it looks like a M-1 Garand bayonet that obviously has been modified with a homemade knuckle duster or guard. The handle was changed out to clear plexiglass and has metal (possibly aluminum) inserts underneath the plastic so as to make it look like mother of pearl when looking at it. The blade itself appears to have been sharpened quite a bit. It has patination, so the modification is not new by any means. In any case, I thought it was worth picking up as I've not seen one like it before. I certainly welcome any comments or insight. Thanks...

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

With the serial number 308166, under the US, the bayonet was most likely a Springfield M1905, or cut down made in 1908. Or, a Rock Island made in 1918. The handle is really unique. SKIP

Thank you for the information gentlemen. The markings which were undoubtedly on the other side were obviously covered up by the metal used to hold the strange handle on. The lady I purchased it from advised me that the knife came from one of her husband's relatives. She said his father was in WWII and his grandfather was in WWI, so based on your identification of the bayonet, it would be from the grandfather in WWI. Despite the weird shape of the handle, it does feel good in the hand.

Great looking knife. It appears to be really solid.

Thank you sundance. Yes, someone took some time putting it all together for sure. It's solid. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $30.

aznation- M1905 bayonets from 1906-1922 were refinished, cut down, or otherwise used through WW2. Not necessarily just in WW1. SKIP

aznation- M1905 bayonets from 1906-1922 were refinished, cut down, or otherwise used through WW2. Not necessarily just in WW1. SKIP

Ok, good to know. Thanks Skip!

The plexiglass scales would be more indicative of WW2 than WW1. Regardless, a great find.

Thank you for your input thorin6. Appreciate it.

Interesting knife, and a great buy for 30 bucks. Not sure if I'm seeing the pictures correctly, but is that thing made for a lefthander?

Mikie

Interesting knife, and a great buy for 30 bucks. Not sure if I'm seeing the pictures correctly, but is that thing made for a lefthander?

Mikie

I believe it was made for a lefthander Mikie. The attached added handle is to the left side of the top of the bayonet. It is comfortable when held in the right hand as well though.