Certificate for Service During the V-Weapon Attacks on Antwerp

bertmedals

Just bought this on a whim – couldn’t resist it actually – and thought I would post it here to see if anyone had more information about it and might be willing to offer up some thoughts on value.

I’ve always been interested in the German WW2 V-weapons – I’ve worked in missile development and at NASA so I got the interest honestly! Anyway, this is a commemorative certificate given to US soldiers who helped in the defense of Antwerp during the combined German V-weapon and aerial attacks against the port in the late 1944-1945. Those attacks lasted 175 days, the Germans firing over 4,000 V-1s and 1,700 V-2s into the Antwerp and its environs. Over 3,700 civilians were killed and over 6,000 injured in the attacks. A defense command (Flying Bomb Command Antwerp X under the command of US Brigadier General Clare H. Armstrong) was established to provide air defense of the city and eventually numbered approximately 22,000 American, British and Polish troops. This organization shot down over half the V-1s launched at Antwerp losing 32 men killed in the effort. The V-weapon attacks appear to have had some impact on Allied logistics during the Battle of the Bulge.

This certificate is to a member of a US port company. It is the first one of these certificates I had seen understanding that my collecting focus is on WW1, not WW2. I researched the certificate on the internet and found several other examples and the basic history above. I also found a few bits of information about the 303rd Port Company which apparently came ashore during the Normandy Campaign and served in northwest Europe for the duration. If anyone can shed more light on the certificate or the unit I’d be grateful.

Interestingly, the soldier wrote what appears to be his itinerary on the back of the certificate, but I haven’t been able to decipher it yet.

Thanks in advance for any additional information. A few pictures follow.

Dennis

post-1496-0-63494400-1533586647.jpg

Brian Keith

That is really neat! A massive undertaking for the city to try to provide them to the GI's. Thanks for posting it.

BKW

Was it the Battle of the Bulge or Operation Market Garden?.....The British pushed heavily for the airborne drop due largely because of the rocket attacks.....This and they hoped for an ending before Christmas 1944....Bodes

Thanks for all your comments.

From what I read, the rocket attacks on Antwerp began on October 7, 1944, after Market Garden ended. They continued through and after the Battle of the Bulge ended. Antwerp was a major supply center for the Allied forces in the Bulge and the rocket attacks disrupted some of the logistics operations supporting that battle. I think the rocket attacks the British were concerned about and were one of the reasons for Market Garden and stopping them by Christmas 1944 were the V-2 attacks on London.

• 1 month later...

I have a collection of letters from a soldier in an AAA battalion which, for a time, was assigned to the defense of Antwerp. He mentions in a few of the letters the rockets flying overhead. I suspect men of his unit would have merited such an award.

I have a collection of letters from a soldier in an AAA battalion which, for a time, was assigned to the defense of Antwerp. He mentions in a few of the letters the rockets flying overhead. I suspect men of his unit would have merited such an award.

I agree with that. They probably all received the certificate.

Several U.S. Army AAA Bns were assigned to Antwerp at that point, I think they all were mentioned in The Orders of The Belgian Army at least once, if twice then they would receive the Belgian Fouraggere. I would have to look though my Sawicki AAA Linage books again to be sure.

Very nice, never seen one. Undiscovered documents keep showing up.

Here is a neat booklet I bought some time back. It is about 8x11" with 48 pages. It includes 100 photos of damage and fragments of V-1's and V-2's. Also a map showing the impact points of the V weapons on Antwerp. It is in 3 languages.

Paul

post-2319-0-38659000-1536670798_thumb.jpg

Several U.S. Army AAA Bns were assigned to Antwerp at that point, I think they all were mentioned in The Orders of The Belgian Army at least once, if twice then they would receive the Belgian Fouraggere. I would have to look though my Sawicki AAA Linage books again to be sure.

Thanks. I'd be interested in what you could find out.

What a wonderful citation. Indeed, the V-Weapons were an interesting and unique part of the war. The raids on Antwerp are somewhat forgotten in contrast to the attacks on Britain.

http://www.kleinekillpress.com/the-v1-campaign.html

Brian

Thanks Brian. That has been my impression as well. It probably has something to do with the fact that they were happening at about the same time.

Very nice, never seen one. Undiscovered documents keep showing up.

Here is a neat booklet I bought some time back. It is about 8x11" with 48 pages. It includes 100 photos of damage and fragments of V-1's and V-2's. Also a map showing the impact points of the V weapons on Antwerp. It is in 3 languages.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for posting the booklet. That'a a new one for me.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a great page on the subject, included is a roster of the AAA Bns at Antwerp, and as we see these were mentioned two times in Orders of the Day of the Belgian Army and thus were awarded the Belgian Fourragere (I was thinking a few were mentioned at least once in the orders, not this many, which seems to be all the AAA Bns there).

http://www.longshoresoldiers.com/2010/02/american-anti-aircraft-artillery-at.html

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent information on that page -- thanks. I just returned from a trip to Belgium (and France) so it was all helpful.

Dennis