U.S. Army Aiguillettes...Officers Only?

MrStiv

Here's a pretty straightforward question: Are only officers authorized to wear aiguillettes? When I do a seach in DA 670-1 on "Aiguillette, service" and "Aiguillette, dress" it comes back with many "officers only" returns. But in the description of how to wear the service aiguillette it says, " The cord is placed under the arm with the hook engaging the eyes on each side of the appropriate shoulder loop," and only enlisted uniforms have shoulder loops. Plus, the illustration sure looks like an enlisted ASU jacket with shoulder loops:

post-168114-0-27140500-1533581809.png

Anyways, thanks as always for any guidance!

There should be a couple of clarifications that we need to establish in order to be sure that we are on the same sheet of music here. Aiguillettes are basically a badge of office for the wearer to distinguish them has holding a position of importance. Aides to general officers, admirals, secretaries of various military branches, the president and vice-president are all called upon to wear an aiguillette. These positions are only held by military officers. So, to answer your question, the regulation is correct regarding the wear of the aiguillette. I believe that the illustration that you are showing would have been correct for the service dress (Class A) uniform for either an officer or an enlisted soldier. Obviously, the regulations changed when the army did away with the green "Class A" jacket. Aiguillettes worn with the dress blue uniform are attached beneath the shoulder board.

Be sure to understand that an aiguillette is NOT a fourragere, which of course, is a unit award worn by soldiers of units who were decorated by foreign governments who bestowed such awards. Fourrageres are worn buttoned to the shoulder strap. When shoulder boards were worn with the dress blue uniform, a button was stitched to the proper location on the shoulder in order for the fourragere to be worn properly.

I hope this helps.

Allan

I served as an Aide and Allan is correct. (On dress blues, I believe I also had a button sewn where it would be if there was an epaulette there. The Class A aguilette is an abbreviated version (as illustrated above) while the dress version is way more complicated.

Here's a pretty straightforward question: Are only officers authorized to wear aiguillettes? When I do a seach in DA 670-1 on "Aiguillette, service" and "Aiguillette, dress" it comes back with many "officers only" returns. But in the description of how to wear the service aiguillette it says, " The cord is placed under the arm with the hook engaging the eyes on each side of the appropriate shoulder loop," and only enlisted uniforms have shoulder loops. Plus, the illustration sure looks like an enlisted ASU jacket with shoulder loops:

attachicon.gifaiguillette.png

Anyways, thanks as always for any guidance!

The old dress green uniforms had shoulder loops for both officers and enlisted. As did the tropical worsted, khaki and dress whites.

If the AR hasn't been updated to reflect that the ASU has no shoulder loop for officers, that's likely an oversight on their part.

And since an aiguillette is only worn by an aide, and an aide is an officer, then yes, the aiguillette is an officer-only uniform item.