occupation yardlong

mccooper

Really enjoy good yardlongs - found several at a local show today, and wanted to share one with you. It is of the 2nd Battalion, 38th IR, 3rd Division, under the command of Maj. P.W. Parkinson, taken at their review, July 14, 1919, in Coblenz, Germany. The setting is outstanding. They are all seated in front of the Kaiser Wilhelm I Memorial, authorized by Wilhelm II, and erected in 1897 on the historic German Corner, where the Rhine and Mosel come together. Great wide shot, with the Rhine - and Ft. Ehrenbreitstein - to the left, and the Mosel to the right. As recipients of newly painted helmets,. all the men are bareheaded with their helmets in front - or to the side - of them. Love that kind of documentation!

mccooper

post-151387-0-86287200-1533426246_thumb.jpg

Would love to see some closeups of these guys! I collect 3rd Division images and love 38th Infantry images, haven't seen this one before!

AustinO-

Here is one, with another to follow.Not the best quality, as I have not yet figured out how to shoot a yardlong through glass, and do it well. Hope they are OK.

mccooper

post-151387-0-88374800-1533477635.jpg

Lars,

While our stay in Koblenz was not long enough, enjoyed our visit to your home town very much. We docked at the Wilhelm I Denkmal and walked from there. Glad you enjoyed the yardlong - couldn't believe it when I first saw it!

mccooper

post-151387-0-41256300-1533497318_thumb.jpg

I have not yet figured out how to shoot a yardlong through glass, and do it well.

If you're using a regular camera (as opposed to a phone camera), it may be possible to get polarized filter for the lens.

Bob-

Thank you! I use regular cameras, so will check with my camera store right away. All the best,

mccooper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of our fellow members has shared with me a photoshopped collage he did of several photos he had found of another troop picture (and quite a picture!) taken at the Kaiser Wilhelm I monument; he found it in pieces on the Internet. There was no ID with the photos, dated 1919, and one curious anomaly: Coblenz is spelled Koblenz. The change to K was not official until 1926; the photographer was from Trier. To date, all of the occupation items I have are spelled with a C. Can anyone ID this photo, and are there other original 1919-1920 occupation items with a K? 1926 was the official change, but reality might be different. Thanks, Paul, for the picture.

mccooper

post-151387-0-12476600-1535301782_thumb.jpg