WWII USN Aircrew Badge Group - stuck on the research

custer1

Hello All,

I request input, assistance, thoughts on this "group" I recently acquired. Please see photos.

I believe I have him correctly identified via Ancestry & Fold 3 searches. His BIRLS Death File indicates first enlistment as 4 Apr 1944 and Release Date 3 Feb 1946.

Problem is that I can only find four USN Muster Rolls which cover Dec 45 to 1 Feb 1946. Where are/how can I access the 1944 and 1945 USN Muster rolls?

I sure would like to confirm that he "earned" the Aircrew Badges in this group. Following is some basic info that I have compiled. Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

His Navy Service Number (on the dog tag) is 837-14-91.

Fred Schilling in the U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010
Name: Fred Schilling
Birth Date: 14 Oct 1917
Death Date: 2 Aug 1978
SSN: 142099222
Branch 1: NAVY
Enlistment Date 1: 4 Apr 1944
Release Date 1: 3 Feb 1946

Fred Vincent Schilling in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Fred Vincent Schilling
[Fred Schilling]
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 Oct 1917
Birth Place: Monroe, New York
Death Date: Aug 1978 (obit is in the Detroit Free Press 4 Aug 1978)
Father: Fred A Schilling
Mother: Mary C Herlihy
SSN:
Notes: Jan 1937: Name listed as FRED VINCENT SCHILLING; 29 Dec 1987: Name listed as FRED SCHILLING

From the earliest Muster Roll on Ancestry:

Frederick Vincent Schilling in the U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949
Report of Changes – USS Princeton CV-37; for month ended 1 Jan 1946
Name: Frederick Vincent Schilling
Ship, Station or Activity: Princeton
Ship Number or Designation: CV-37
Muster Date: 1 Jan 1946
SN: 837 14 91; Rating at Date of last report: S1c (AMM)
Branch of Service: USN-I (US Regular Navy -Inductee); REC’D 12-14-45; rec’d from: CASU-22 (Carrier Air Service Unit 22)

Would a guy with a AMM (Aviation Machinist's Mate) rate be "eligible" for an Aircrew Badge?

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on if this is a legit or "put together group". I am suspecting the latter.

Regards, JimB

post-9714-0-70832900-1533421208.jpg

post-9714-0-73530600-1533421226.jpg

post-9714-0-36755500-1533421242.jpg

The best way to confirm his service is to request his record from NARA. Navy and USMC records are completely intact and always offer a wealth of info. Also keep in mind that for the most part WWII Navy muster reports only contain info reported by ships. Aviation squadrons were considered their own separate units, even when embarked on a carrier. Squadrons are not typically reflected in the reports though. The fact that you can't find him in the muster reports may actually be a good sign that he was an air crewman.

Garandomatic

And don't forget all the squadrons that flew non- carrier aircraft. Seaplanes, the navy versions of the B25 and B24, etc. One of me best seaplane guys only showed up as a passenger on a seaplane tender for his trip into the pacific.

A great thanks to Sigsaye, Kadet, and Garandomatic for the insightful observations and advice.

Kadet, per your suggestion "The best way to confirm his service is to request his record from NARA," do you mean NARA/NPRC in St Louis or NARA College Park MD?

Thanks again, JimB

JimB....NARA/NPRC in St. Louis. I strongly recommend using Golden Arrow, or one of the other paid services. Slightly more expensive, but much easier and faster. Additionally, many WWII Navy and USMC records have portrait photographs associated with them.

JimB....NARA/NPRC in St. Louis. I strongly recommend using Golden Arrow, or one of the other paid services. Slightly more expensive, but much easier and faster. Additionally, many WWII Navy and USMC records have portrait photographs associated with them.

Thanks. That is what I figured you meant.

JimB