WW2 US Navy Nimitz Staff Officer Group

Fritz

Well, about a week ago or so I purchased a beautiful PAL USMC knife named to a H.J. Moran, I was told there was more that was with it but sold to another individual, well I was able to find him and was able to get it. The Navy officer was Lt (JG) Harold James Moran, in the group is his commission document, his naval training officer class book, ID bracelet, buttons, ribbon bar, rank insignia and two pictures, the first picture is of Admiral Nimitz and has a very nice personal note to Moran and is signed by Nimitz and dated November 1944, second picture is of the entire staff of Admiral Nimitz and is again autographed by him and Admiral Charles "Soc" McMorris, there are two other high rank signatures but I have not found who they are yet. Kinda made my day

post-4127-0-33309300-1533417212_thumb.jpg

post-4127-0-60823900-1533417221.jpg

That's a fantastic group. By sheer coincidence, I'm in the middle of reading a Nimitz biography. Long shot, but I'll let you know if I can figure out who they are.

Mikie

I think I have identified the officer to the right of Nimitz as John R. Redman, he was on Nimitz staff from 42-45. Now to ID the other officer

Fritz

Wow, can't believe I haven't gotten more input on trying to find out who the last officer is or about the group, I'll have to get the research done on the veteran to see what else he did during the war. This is the first Nimitz Staff group I've ever seen and didn't even think of something like this, I don't even think I've seen or heard of something like this from Mcarther or Eicks staff. The crazy thing is this and the knife ( listed in another post in the edge weapons forum) are literally right out of the woods via two guys that bought the items separately at an estate auction in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan.

Fritz

I thought this photo of Nimitz looked familiar. I was at this auction in May this year and bid on the photos but the price went for more than what I was willing to pay for. Were you at this auction? I believe this is the knife that sold. I think it went for $230.

post-104736-0-26835900-1534386262.jpg

That's the knife, no I was not there but two friends were, I bought the pieces from both guys to get it all back together, the knife is absolutely stunning in hand and a rare bird in this condition, I posted better pics in the knife forum here

Fritz

Ahh, with the help of the people at the Admiral Nimitz museum I was able to identify the last officers signature, he is Lt. Cmdr R. B. McCoy.

Fritz