Uncle Sam "I Want You US Army" Dated 1968 Poster

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: I recently picked this up....recalled seeing these when I was a teenage in 1968 and Vietnam War was going strong. Sm. aller size. What do you think?

post-153915-0-23287900-1533362241_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-77138900-1533362254_thumb.jpg

It's right as rain. I remember these from when I was a kid as well. A more traditional approach to recruiting, banking heavily on the sentiment for WWII. I am not sure how well it worked, if at all, on draft age men in the 1960's. I am sure some wanted to follow their father's footsteps to serve the country... others saw it as an outdated plea from the Establishment. There were a lot of parodies of this poster at the time.

Yea...I was in High School Army JROTC from 1969-72 in Newport, RI ...and my instructors were all WWII vets...along with my Dad & (US Navy WAVES). My Dad worked at Davisville, RI where CBs went & came back from 'Nam....and my Dad started to realize the "war"..especially since I was draft age. I was thinking about joining the US Army in 1972 since I had a draft# 66 but my Dad "enlightened" me....and directed me to the USAF....best move ever. The 1972 draft really never happened...but I recall seeing these posters in the post office...and knowing the whole attitude toward the war.