Mystery 1907 Sling with Patented Metal Friction Buckle

Seabee147

Folks I bring before your collective wisdom this interesting sling I picked up yesterday. Looks like a standard 1907 but this metal buckle is curious.

Short strap is ~24" with 16 pairs of holes. Both leather keepers are on this strap.

Long strap is ~48" with 16 pr of holes near hook end and another 10 pr at the other. Initials "C.K" are found at the d-ring end (reverse side). "ARSENAL, 1916, J.N.S." is stamped at the hook end.

The metal clasp is on the long strap. It appears to grip the strap by simple action of being placed near a looped end (i.e. where the sling widens as is approaches a sling swivel). The trailing end of the buckle has what appears to be hand cut hatching on the inside to aid grip and to keep it from sliding down the sling. The mechanics are pretty simple. There is no cam, latch, lever, etc.

Stamped on the smooth face is "PAT - FEB" over "20 - 23" I know they came out with a new pattern sling in 1923. That was webbing. Could this example be some sort of failed experiment in improving the leather sling before they ultimately switched to webbing?

I am eager to hear your thoughts.

post-173024-0-54110500-1533298230.jpg

post-173024-0-75514000-1533298250.jpg