1897 Blued 30-40 Krag Bayonet?

Papas-Toybox

Papas-Toybox

OK. Everything I've read states that the blueing of 30-40 Krag bayonets ended in April 1895. However, I have an 1897 model that is blued. I had to remove the cosmoline from the bayonet and the sheath to get the pictures below. The date and US stamps match exactly to known good examples of the Krag bayonet. I have seen some good examples of the 1897 that had the date stamped in the opposite direction though. The scabbard has the type 3 wire keeper that began use in 1905. The sheath also has the 1899 modification for the use of the bent tab to limit the movement of the hook.

As is usual with the military, I've no concern with a 1905 sheath matched with this bayonet. I was just wondering if anyone heard about unissued, blued bayonets being stamped with a date later than 1895? It's a beautiful set.

post-164320-0-78878300-1532987594_thumb.jpg

post-164320-0-67436700-1532987615_thumb.jpg

post-164320-0-92594500-1532987862_thumb.jpg

I've never seen any information that blued blades for Krag Bayonets went into 1897 but I've also learned to never say never. Have you posted to the Krag Collectors Association to see what they have to say?

Papas-Toybox

I've never seen any information that blued blades for Krag Bayonets went into 1897 but I've also learned to never say never.  Have you posted to the Krag Collectors Association to see what they have to say?

Hadn't thought of that. Guess I'll need to try there too. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

as a quick note - looks like this bayo went thru refrub as the handle rivets are ground down - maybe it gone blued then?

as a quick note - looks like this bayo went thru refrub as the handle rivets are ground down - maybe it gone blued then?

According to Poyer's book on the Krag (which should always be looked at with a little skepticism; he's known to get some things wrong), the rivets were polished flat until November 1999. A rebuild is certainly possible, but at this point they would normally been left in the white anyway.

Papas-Toybox

Most of my experience is with 1905 Springfield and newer. However with those I occassionally get an older manufacture item with a newer date. Like it was in the bottom of a bin for a couple years before it completed assembly. I.e. a cutdown UC without a date imprint.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk