WW2 Kabar?

27Division18

Looks good.

Any marks on guard or other side of blade?

There is just a version with Kabar only.I have one from a Navy vet

SemperParatus

I am not a knife collector but I have one that appears to be like this one. Mine has the KA-BAR on one side and USMC on the other. The sheath of mine seems identical to the one shown in the illustration.I got the knife from a minister who only stated he wanted to be rid of the knife as it brought back bad memories best forgotten (his words).

Welcome aboard.

If it only says KA-BAR on one side and U.S.M.C. on the other side, it's a good bet that it's made during the 1943-1945 time period. I'm not aware of those markings being reproduced anytime after that.

But that's why we like pictures here. Gives us something to talk about.

Is this a WW2 Kabar?

Yes, it is !!

From what I see, it seems to be a round tang model ... not the earliest variation but still an early one.

Does it have another marking on the other side of the blade, USMC, USN or nothing ?

E

• 2 weeks later...

Some knives are known to have been made without a branch of service marking on them. Still the knife in the OP is of WW2 time frame of manufacture.

Your knife appears to be the same model as this one. It's an early variation with a lot of different explainations. Some say the blank side means it was USMC issue, some say it was made for the USN but the proper "USN" stamped blades were not ready yet. Most logical IMHO is it was made so it could be issued as needed to either the Navy or Marines. The more romantic claim it was issued without a branch of service on it for OSS use. Just to add some more confusion, some call it a "Wasp Waist" because the ends of the handles are pinched in thin. The blade has the early "bonderized" finish rather than the later parkerized finish. It's a fairly hard knife to find in better condition than either of ours.

But the short answer to your question is "Yes, it's from WWII". Enjoy it.

Art

post-168413-0-74922600-1534712155_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-85000600-1534712164_thumb.jpg

27Division18

Thanks Art

Your knife appears to be the same model as this one. It's an early variation with a lot of different explainations. Some say the blank side means it was USMC issue, some say it was made for the USN but the proper "USN" stamped blades were not ready yet. Most logical IMHO is it was made so it could be issued as needed to either the Navy or Marines. The more romantic claim it was issued without a branch of service on it for OSS use. Just to add some more confusion, some call it a "Wasp Waist" because the ends of the handles are pinched in thin. The blade has the early "bonderized" finish rather than the later parkerized finish. It's a fairly hard knife to find in better condition than either of ours.

But the short answer to your question is "Yes, it's from WWII". Enjoy it.

Art