Recovering pictures from negatives

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

First let me say that I didn't find this app but was pointed to it by a person in a facebook group, but thought I would share it here as it seems to work pretty good.

While some old negatives can be printed by a normal photo lab, but some of the odd sized negatives common in early photography are harder to find a lab to get them printed and can be pretty pricey.

The app is Photo Negative Scanner. The process is pretty straight forward, put the negative on a light source, I used a laptop with a white screen with brightness max'ed out, then take a picture thru the app with your phone. Honestly if you have a camera that will take negative images it would probably work just the same, though the app gives you some options to play with brightness, etc while taking the picture instead of doing it in a photo editor after the fact.

Here is a couple test shots I did last night.

post-167837-0-06141300-1532702539.jpg

post-167837-0-13536000-1532702565_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Cool app, thanks for sharing. The second image shows some signs of moire/aliasing patterns. This often happens when you take a photo of a computer scree or TV. Try getting further away from the computer screen then zoom in with your camera. This will sometimes eliminate or reduce the amount of moire. The only negative is that the image may be slightly less sharp due to the optics of the phone camera lens.

prestoncohunter

I wondered what caused that, thanks for the info. I am looking at a cheap LED table top light table that is like 15 bucks at WalMart which should reduce that some and going to play with my good digital camera as I think it has a negative setting that might work.

prestoncohunter

Just for giggles I tried the same technique not using the app, of course the picture was negative but then in my photo editing software I applied the negative affect and boom your done. Doing it this way will let my use my good digital camera and maybe have some better results.

Here is the results of the experiment. Before and after applying the negative filter.

post-167837-0-10776300-1532709663.jpg

post-167837-0-64881900-1532709680.jpg