USS Indianapolis commissioning day cachet signed by first captain and.....

Thor996

So, not sure how this one is going to go over with you purists out there in cover land, but I did it anyway. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to have some real American heroes add their names to this 1932 commissioning day cachet of the USS Indianapolis.

5 of the men who signed this in addition to the original of only Captain Smeallie and Lawrence Iverson are veterans who survived the sinking in 1945. The are [in no particular order] Richard Dick Thelan, Arthur Leenerman, Robert Witzig, James Jarvis, and Harold Bray. I also asked Captain William Toti [retired] of the USS Indianapolis SSN 697 to sign it as well..,..who I also consider to be a hero for aiding these men in clearing Captain Charles B McVay's good name.

NFS at ANY price. hope you enjoy it.

post-30395-0-94019400-1532479439_thumb.jpg

Brian Keith

I am generally a "purists", but, you really did history a great service to add to this cover. just imagine the excitement of an owner of this artifact 50-100 years from now! I have met several of the Indy survivors over the years, including Dick Thelan, to a man they were very humble and great guys!

Good Job!

BKW

I am generally a "purists", but, you really did history a great service to add to this cover. just imagine the excitement of an owner of this artifact 50-100 years from now! I have met several of the Indy survivors over the years, including Dick Thelan, to a man they were very humble and great guys!

Good Job!

BKW

Thanks to all who commented: and I appreciate your kinds words and just imagine the excitement of the current owner of this artifact to have this in his collection as his own and to have met these men and got to meet them in person and to be able to have them do this for me and posterity...

:)

dave

up- in memory of those who were lost today a few moments after Midnight July 30th- til August 2, 1945-and for those who survived and for all those who still grieve.

post-30395-0-25790800-1532947479_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

up- in memory of those who were lost today a few moments after Midnight July 30th- til August 2, 1945-and for those who survived and for all those who still grieve.

post-30395-0-39602700-1564539584.jpg