WWII Unidentified Shirt (Ledo Road/CBI/Pacific Theater)

SammyT

I recently purchased some items from the widow of a WWII veteran who served in the Pacific Theater, particularly in CBI. One of the items is a dress jacket with CBI patch and theater made Ledo Road patch. Another item, which is what this post is about is some sort of Khaki short sleeve shirt that I have never seen before and I'm hoping someone can help identify it.

The only marking on it is an ink stamp which reads "Ariel" , "Angers", and "100 L "

There are gold buttons with a script letter "V" on the front of each of them. And they are attached to the shirt with small cotter pins.

There is also a cloth belt (which I forgot to photograph) that is attached to the shirt. The belt has a plastic brown buckle on it as well.

The shirt has what appears to be a WWII period CBI patch on the left sleeve and a more modern vintage ledo road patch on the right sleeve.

My thoughts are that the veteran in his senior years purchased this shirt from some sort of army/navy store, applied one of his left over CBI patches and bought a modern Ledo Road patch in order to replicate his service jacket and his time in WWII. My thoughts also would be that in his senior years he wore this shirt as he marched in holiday parades with his local VFW. ...just my thoughts as an amateur detective.

Can anyone identify this shirt? All comments are welcome. thanks.

Sammy T.

post-12695-0-94897500-1532138307_thumb.jpg

post-12695-0-64290300-1532138316_thumb.jpg

I recently purchased some items from the widow of a WWII veteran who served in the Pacific Theater, particularly in CBI. One of the items is a dress jacket with CBI patch and theater made Ledo Road patch. Another item, which is what this post is about is some sort of Khaki short sleeve shirt that I have never seen before and I'm hoping someone can help identify it.

The only marking on it is an ink stamp which reads "Ariel" , "Angers", and "100 L "

There are gold buttons with a script letter "V" on the front of each of them. And they are attached to the shirt with small cotter pins.

There is also a cloth belt (which I forgot to photograph) that is attached to the shirt. The belt has a plastic brown buckle on it as well.

The shirt has what appears to be a WWII period CBI patch on the left sleeve and a more modern vintage ledo road patch on the right sleeve.

My thoughts are that the veteran in his senior years purchased this shirt from some sort of army/navy store, applied one of his left over CBI patches and bought a modern Ledo Road patch in order to replicate his service jacket and his time in WWII. My thoughts also would be that in his senior years he wore this shirt as he marched in holiday parades with his local VFW. ...just my thoughts as an amateur detective.

Can anyone identify this shirt? All comments are welcome. thanks.

Sammy T.

British KD Bush Jacket, with short sleeves and minus the belt

Linedoggie, thanks for the identification. the belt is on the jacket I just forgot to take a pic of it. Are these bush jackets common?...anything special about them?

Then I am assuming maybe this bush jacket is something the veteran brought back with him from the war and then added a modern day ledo road patch at some point in modern times.

Sammy t.

wartimecollectables.com

Linedoggie, thanks for the identification. the belt is on the jacket I just forgot to take a pic of it. Are these bush jackets common?...anything special about them?

Then I am assuming maybe this bush jacket is something the veteran brought back with him from the war and then added a modern day ledo road patch at some point in modern times.

Sammy t.

The jackets are not rare, I've had several in CBI groups, but are still unique and interesting pieces. Maybe I'm mistaken (I often am, just ask my kids!) but that doesn't look like a modern Ledo Road copy patch, but one where piping has been added for the look. Sometimes encountered and another unique uniform alteration. Can't tell from the photo, what is the Branch of Service on his collar discs?

The jackets are not rare, I've had several in CBI groups, but are still unique and interesting pieces. Maybe I'm mistaken (I often am, just ask my kids!) but that doesn't look like a modern Ledo Road copy patch, but one where piping has been added for the look. Sometimes encountered and another unique uniform alteration. Can't tell from the photo, what is the Branch of Service on his collar discs?

Engineer

The branch of service is engineer. I don't think the Ledo road patch is period though. It glows under blacklight and the construction looks to be modern. I'll post some more pics for confirmation.

Sammy T.

John Conway

Jacket is actually French - maybe 50's era but no clue on the buttons - don't believe they're French. Aerial the maker I assume - Angers is in Western France. A lot of this stuff in the surplus market in the 60-70's.

thanks for the info John. So my scenario is possible then. The veteran wants to show his pride of service and unit for marching in a parade.... picks up a surplus shirt and ads the patches to it to recreate his service in WWII.

Sammy T.

thanks for the info John. So my scenario is possible then. The veteran wants to show his pride of service and unit for marching in a parade.... picks up a surplus shirt and ads the patches to it to recreate his service in WWII.

Sammy T.

Could have been something he wore to reunions as well.

The reunions/association typically sold patches and other related items