US Army M41 Field Jacket Kiska Patch

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

While I could never afford this jacket at the price it is listed at I'm wondering what your guys' thoughts are on it. Because of it being an XXL I find it a bit hard to believe that it could be original, but that's why I want to hear what you guys think. The Aleutian Island Campaign is one of my main interests, however, it is decently hard to find items related to it. Let me know what you think!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Ww2-Us-Army-Fssf-Arctic-Field-Jacket-Original-Kiska-Patch-Rare-Xxl-Size/153089527123?hash=item23a4d8cd53%3Ag%3AKLsAAOSwjPdZzSIz&_sop=1&_pgn=3&_sacat=0&_nkw=ww2+army+jacket&_from=R40&rt=nc

Seller description quote:

"Rare Ww2 Us Army Fssf Arctic Field Jacket Original Kiska Patch Rare Xxl Size"

post-165862-0-35549000-1532138101_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

No name, or serial # Or Provedance. Price is way overboard. Patch might be real, and jacket might be real. So what. Anyone can make it up. The patch is hard to see, and it looks fully emb. I thought the ones that worn work during the invasion were all printed. I might be wrong on that point. Jmho

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

No name, or serial # Or Provedance. Price is way overboard. Patch might be real, and jacket might be real. So what. Anyone can make it up. The patch is hard to see, and it looks fully emb. I thought the ones that worn work during the invasion were all printed. I might be wrong on that point. Jmho Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think in the early stage of the invasion they were all printed but later on, when they returned, they received embroidered versions. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/217145-a-canvasor-oilskin-ww2-era-kiska-task-force-patch/ post 8 on this thread. Not sure where vintage productions received his info, but maybe he will comment! In terms of the price, I would agree it is way overboard and provenance is very important just looking for thoughts on the jacket.

Thanks

Hunt

For what its worth....I knew a handful of Force vets and have a few patches from a couple.I have not seen or ever encountered a full embroidered ATF 9 / Kiska Task Force patch in the hands of any of the veterans I personally met.They all had printed canvas/denim patches.From what I was told these were meant to be temporary or invasion patches and not meant to last.Worn for the operation and then discarded.

I don't recall the source as its been many years ago but I either read or heard mention the patches were made-procured in Canada.This seemed plausible due to many common wealth insignias are screen printed on the canvas material a common wartime manufacturing process.The method and materials would have been at hand for the Canadians to make these and do so in quick order.

Al Smith(FSSF) recalled the patches were issued aboard ship enroute/prior to the invasion.This was his recollection

The Jacket itself looks real enough and a good size 44 or so, but the price (like so many on Ebay these days) is just stupid.

I found in a rag house in the eighties a reversible parka in great shape with the embroidered patch on BOTH sides. This is similar to what is seen in the National Geographic story on the Alaska campaign. Sold it on Ebay but not for that price.

Trevor M. Larson

I too collect Alaskan theatre items. This one dosent sit well with me. As Louie pointed out (and a lot of photos seem to back up) is most legit Kiska task force jackets seem have patches on *both* sides. I'd sit any wait for one that met that criteria or was IDed to a task force vet and pass on this one

notinfringed

I would have to agree with what has been said already. From the pictures I have seen of the Kiska landings/ reclamation, everyone seems to be wearing the printed version, and on both shoulders. I won't say "it didn't happen" because as soon as I do, someone with more knowledge than me will prove me wrong. That being said, I have come across the embroidered Kiska patch on uniforms before. All that I have seen are on the right shoulder for prior combat, and not from anyone in FSSF. As always, never say never, but without solid provenance that price seems crazy high.

I found in a rag house in the eighties a reversible parka in great shape with the embroidered patch on BOTH sides. This is similar to what is seen in the National Geographic story on the Alaska campaign. Sold it on Ebay but not for that price.

Do you recall the issue of the magazine? I have a bunch of older war era issues.

Off the top of my head no. Just remember a bunch of soldiers on a ship with the patch on both sides. Really don't remember if it was the emb. or print one though.