Question about flight engineer wing

Tonomachi

I saw this at the flea market this morning and decided not to buy it as I was unsure of its authenticity. This is a NS Meyer wing with the 50s era 9M hallmark. I understand that one of the things you look for on a reproduction WW2 NS Meyer wing is a rear horizontal pin which opens fully to 180 degrees. Does this apply to later 50s era NS Meyer wings which is the case with the wing I saw at the flea market. Is this 9M an original wing or one of the re-strikes?

post-1389-0-15560200-1532119138_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-98783000-1532119159_thumb.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, 100% original post WWII US Air Force wing. Early post war single alpha numeric maker code early 50's, still using pin back attachment. Probably a $60 retail wing in today's market but far rarer than that $ amount would suggest.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, 100% original post WWII US Air Force wing. Early post war single alpha numeric maker code early 50's, still using pin back attachment. Probably a $60 retail wing in today's market but far rarer than that $ amount would suggest.

Thanks for the authentication.

• 3 years later...
On 7/20/2018 at 7:13 PM, Steve Brannan said:

9M identities it as well post war. Probably circa 1955.

your wing appears to have the same ghostly sterling & shield stamping on the reverse as mine with exception i have the early style back pin. un-believable

001_LI.jpg

005.JPG

004.JPG

1 hour ago, donaldnol said:

your wing appears to have the same ghostly sterling & shield stamping on the reverse as mine with exception i have the early style back pin. un-believable

Identical ghosting on two specimens is an indication that the ghosted impression is an artifact on the face of the force projecting die surface vice a potentially double struck planchet.  I would expect then that many (if not all) badges made during this particular production run would exhibit identical artifacts.

You may have identified an uncatalogued variation!

Chris

• 4 months later...

Interestingly, I’ve just acquired a Meyer FE wing without the 9M shield and with the old style pin and fixings but with a dark, smoother finish on the back compared to earlier wings. Looking closely I can also make out a very feint and partial impression of an upside down ‘sterling’ and shield in the same place. Given the absence of the 9M mark it would seem to be from an earlier production run with a different due but strange that the ‘ghost’ marking is there in the same place.

I’m assuming this was made in the early 50s (but happy to be corrected!)

3D2F1AAC-67E1-41EE-82E8-5BC0180D77A6.jpeg

623FB05D-1ECC-4301-B2C0-5351B5E08184.jpeg

2366072D-8457-41CE-9D88-47C983594460.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kropotkin said:

Interestingly, I’ve just acquired a Meyer FE wing without the 9M shield and with the old style pin and fixings but with a dark, smoother finish on the back compared to earlier wings. Looking closely I can also make out a very feint and partial impression of an upside down ‘sterling’ and shield in the same place. Given the absence of the 9M mark it would seem to be from an earlier production run with a different due but strange that the ‘ghost’ marking is there in the same place.

I’m assuming this was made in the early 50s (but happy to be corrected!)

3D2F1AAC-67E1-41EE-82E8-5BC0180D77A6.jpeg

623FB05D-1ECC-4301-B2C0-5351B5E08184.jpeg

2366072D-8457-41CE-9D88-47C983594460.jpeg

it does look likely

7 minutes ago, donaldnol said:

it does look likely

i have and earlier meyers flight eng. wing in sterling without the ghost stamps, so these may in fact appear on non sterling wings only