Question about storing my new M1918 trench knife

jpipes

I recently got this M1918 and had a question about it. The black appears original, which I am happy about, on the blade, handle and scabbard all of which seem to match. The scabbard is a tight fit though, and adding and removing the knife from the scabbard produces a rubbing effect on the blade. I suspect some scabbards are tight while others are more loose. I am considering getting a modern and hopefully slightly looser scabbard to protect the knife day to day, while keeping the original close at hand. Thoughts on this aspect? I would love to keep the knife stored in the scabbard but each time I remove it I will be wincing. Seems better just not to do it if I can avoid it. Any other tips for this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

post-181923-0-38306400-1532013104_thumb.jpg

Unless your intent on carrying the knife there is no reason to put it in its scabbard or any other type of scabbard. Just display it with the scabbard or put it away with your other collectibles. Repeated use of a scabbard will continue to remove the finish. I believe if you search the forum you will find a section on methods and preservatives for maintaining the condition of your knife. Every collector has their opinion on what works best. Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the replies, yes that makes sense and will likely be what I do.

Appreciate the comments on the knife too. It's my first example, and one can never be too wary. I did a lot of home work to find the right one. I wanted to get one that I could be excited about and proud of and I think I hit the mark. Many that I see have been polished and I love the original black.

Collectible

Jpipes,

From one North Carolinian to another that is quite a handsome example! I've only seen a few over the past decade but that is definitely one of the finer examples.

I'll completely agree with not storing it in the scabbard... display them together and take good care of the exposed blade. Another thing to be careful of is the prongs on the scabbard.... those little guys love to break off! Over 70% of the scabbards I've seen have had the prongs broken.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
ArchangelDM

I have my 1918 out of the scabbard and have applied Vaseline to the blade. It creates a non harmful Barrier and will stop any nasties attacking your hundred year old blade.

Yours

Dean

Maybe I have a somewhat devil-may-care attitude, but I would just use some common sense and enjoy it.

I had a pretty nice 1918 at one point, and just took care of it like any other nice knife.

I’d give it a light coat of 3-in-1 or Ballistol every so often, and keep an eye on humidity.

It’s really whatever makes the individual happy, but my thinking is that it has survived well for 100 years; and I’m sure did not enjoy the level of pampering it’s about to receive. :)

I’ve been all over the dial, and am cautious to not over-think it. I kept mine stored in the scabbard, as it seemed happier being altogether. A few runs in and out of the scabbard a year - especially oiled - is not going to hurt it.

If this was Custer’s sabre from Little Big Horn, sure, put it under glass and post guards. Otherwise, don’t sweat it.

Agree with Blacksmith.

I have one in similar condition less one tab on scabbard.I have done nothing to the blade in the 40 odd years I have owned it.It resides in its scabbard for most of its hibernation.

I have read and spoke with those who use a micro crystalline wax called renaissance wax on knives and recommend it.I have yet to try it.I understand it used by world famous museums as well.

Very nice looking knife and scabbard.

RE: doyler's comment:

I've used Renaissance Wax for many years. It was recommended to my by several very serious militaria collectors, dealers and museum curators. Ren Wax also makes a cleaner which does a great job getting out the deep dirt without hard rubbing or abrasive action.. Ren Wax can be used on metal or wood. A SMALL amount goes a long way. Ren Wax provides a clear protective coating without the oily feel.

As regards storing knives and scabbards/sheaths my preference is to store them with the knife out of the scabbard.

Ken

Thanks for the extremely helpful thoughts and comments. Thanks also Ken and the other two folks that commented on the knife specifically. Very happy with it, needless to say! I wish I could post larger photos of it, but I can't seem to post anything more than 300k in size.

couple I have.

The one with removed guard has the original metal scabbard inside the leather.

Have never treated or cleaned them.May some time try the Ren Wax.

post-342-0-17600600-1533058194_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-08081700-1533058215_thumb.jpg